Remove insulation to staple wire in attic?

Old 03-13-08, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove insulation to staple wire in attic?

I'm planning on installing several can lights in my house. I have access to the attic, but there is 15" on freshly blown in insulation laying on ceilling drywall. I was planning to use new work IC fixutues and just temporarily push the insulation back in the spots where the fixtures will attach to the ceilling joists..

The question I have is do I really need to staple the wires down every two feet in the attic? In order to do that I'm going to have to disturb a lot more of the blown in insulation. Is that required?

What about electricians that install old work lights and don't have attic access? I'm sure those aren't stapled down, right?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-08, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by brian3r45 View Post
The question I have is do I really need to staple the wires down every two feet in the attic?
It's a borderline case. The staple requirement is actually every 4 1/2' -- I would probably try to do so if possible. Are you running the cables parallel or perpendicular to the joists?

What about electricians that install old work lights and don't have attic access? I'm sure those aren't stapled down, right?
Wires fished into finished walls do not require staples, but there's also no risk of stepping on a wire fished into an inaccessible wall cavity.

Old 03-13-08, 11:15 AM
Thanks. The cables will be running both parallel and perpendicular to the joists.

I'll try stapling as much as I can. My lights will be about 4-6 feet apart so I should be able to at least do the ends where they enter the fixture.

Old 03-13-08, 01:38 PM
You may be able to just fish the cable through the attic. It really depends on how the attic is used, accessed, and what your inspector has to say.

I think there's more harm done to the cable by stapling it than fishing it, especially when working in the hostile conditions of an attic--but that's just my opinion.