Wiring from breaker to a single outlet question?

Old 03-13-08, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring from breaker to a single outlet question?

Hello, I need some advise. I might not have the correct wiring but I'm hoping I can get around with it since I bought it awhile ago and to late to return it.
I'm installing a new single outlet and it will be connected directly to the breaker (15amps). The socket which is the one with the test/reset button needs the white and black including the ground to be connected. The wire I have is the white/black/red with ground. Can I use it without connecting the red at both ends.
Also my next question is, I know it's not up to code but since my room is newly build, what danger can there be if I pass the wire behind the basboards to get to the breaker. Off course the base boards are glued to the wall so I won't need to worry about nails going through it. I know it's not up to code but since this room was recently done, I'm not crazy about breaking down 3 walls to pass a wire.
Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-08, 08:35 PM
This thing you call a socket sounds like a GFCI duplex--you can skip the red wire & be OK.
You CAN'T run behind baseboard.
Run your wires on the surface of wall in metal thinwall so
no romex is visible.
Then you can paint thinwall to match wall

Old 03-13-08, 08:36 PM
Yes you may use 3 conductor with a ground, But it is unwise to leave it in a "Live environment". Pull the red conductor back on bothe ends and leave it "Outside the Box"

The base boards are a problem....They will get "Pinched " any time the floor Flexes.

What you may do without damaging the walls, is remove the baseboards, trim up the drywall from the bottom leaving a gap 1/2 inch less than the height of the baseboard. Drill the studs and fish it thru....

Old 03-13-08, 09:55 PM
That Iea will work, but if you have a crawl space or attick acsess you can just do a cut in box and be with in code, and more importantly be safe. But my question is what room is this for? Because that may also deturmine what you should or sould not do.

Old 03-14-08, 06:29 AM
Received 113 Votes on 103 Posts
Yes you may use 3 conductor with a ground, But it is unwise to leave it in a "Live environment". Pull the red conductor back on bothe ends and leave it "Outside the Box"
I never heard of such a thing. I don't even think code would allow you to pull the single wire outside the box and leave it.

Just coil up the red and leave it in the bottom of the box.

Old 03-14-08, 07:17 AM
First, thank you for all your replies.
I'll give more off a description to make my situation clearer.
First I'm installing a GFCI duplex. This is for my basement (playroom). The box is located in the next room (garage) well protected. where the GFCI is being installed, there is 2 walls before I get to the garage. What I wanted to do is for those 2 walls, I wanted to place the wire behind the baseboards until I get to the wall connected to the garage. From there I'll be able to fish the wire to get to the box, this part I know it will be in code. No wires will be exposed. Also if this helps, I have floating floors in my basement.
Let me know if you need more info. Thanks

Old 03-14-08, 07:29 AM
If you know how long the wire needs to be, just pull the red out of the cable completely before running it to the breaker.

Tom

Old 03-14-08, 08:20 AM
just pull the red out of the cable
Dear lordie, don't do that! Seriously.

Cap off the red and leave it. It may come in handy some day. If you need some extra juice at that location you may change it to a multiwire circuit.

Old 03-14-08, 08:57 AM
Cap off the red and leave it.
In all honesty, that is what I always thought too, until the inspector ripped me on a box fill issue, and an "Abandoned" wire in the box. Maybe just a local thing.?

Old 03-14-08, 10:38 AM
If you had box fill issues anyway then he may have had a valid point there. But to bring the extra conductor outside the box would require having exposed sheathing outside of the box, which definitely 'ain't' right.

Many people run 3 conductor cable from a switch to a ceiling fan even if they aren't going to use independent switches at present.

Old 03-14-08, 11:20 AM
Received 113 Votes on 103 Posts
You can't run the cable behind the baseboard. Give up on that idea.

Old 03-14-08, 12:05 PM
Send photo or sketch......