outlet or light switch

Old 03-14-08, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outlet or light switch

Does the switch to turn on a light or an outlet close the neutral wire or the hot wire(black) in a 110v system? Does it really matter which one is on the switch or does code require one or the other? thanx, mark

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-08, 09:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It must always be on the hot. This is for your protection and safety. Say you turned off the switch to a light and somehow touched the hot side while grounded you'd end up completing a circuit. Not a good thing.

Old 03-15-08, 12:33 AM
The black or red wire is used for power or switch source and the white wire is never used for switched source at all [ there is a specal except for 3 way end of run's then it have to be remarked ditto with the switchloop's that the only two place they will allowed ]

note by per NEC code the White , Grey is resvered for netural circuits green is grounding wire it is never used for anything else at all.

Merci, Marc

Old 03-15-08, 01:40 AM
[ there is a specal except for 3 way end of run's then it have to be remarked ditto with the switchloop's that the only two place they will allowed
Marc, Just curious,

Is this REQUIRED now for new code?... I always thought it was "Good Practice/ Courteousy" to remark switch loops?

Old 03-15-08, 01:46 AM
I've ran into knob and tube that was switched with the neutral......but then again they made splices inside of walls back then too. Really makes it hard to troubleshoot.

Old 03-15-08, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by lbartowski View Post
I've ran into knob and tube that was switched with the neutral......but then again they made splices inside of walls back then too. Really makes it hard to troubleshoot.

Try googling "California 3 way".....

Some wizard figured out you could shut off a light by supplying 2 hot legs to it

Old 03-15-08, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Marc, Just curious,

Is this REQUIRED now for new code?... I always thought it was "Good Practice/ Courteousy" to remark switch loops?

I dont have the new 08 code book with me right now but it is true that is good practice/ courteousty do this but the biggest issue with some of the pepoles do lack a common sense with electrical system and can really endanger someone whom not really famiur with the system.

btw if you have 2005 NEC code look up at 200.7(C)2 if i am on right spot.

Merci, Marc

Old 03-15-08, 04:19 PM
french277V, you are right on; the NEC says the white wire must be permanently remarked.

I have yet to see a switch loop that was remarked; it's possible the ink used to remark faded, but more than likely it was never marked to begin with.

With K&T I thought both wires were treated as hot wires. Is this true? I have no experience with K&T, I have only read about it.

Old 03-15-08, 09:11 PM
Strategery.,

Unforetally related to the T&K stuff they are very tricky to indentify which one is hot or netrual espcally in the junction box. and over the time the white coating on the T&K can fade out.

also with some of older T&K they did have switched netrual as well that get really hair raiseing event if not carefull with it.

on otherhand with the remarked white wire for switch loop [ both single and multiway's ] i know some did faded over the time and some were not marked at all that kinda common mistake there if not carefull it can get ya a suprise.

Merci, Marc