A couple questions about electrical meter...

Old 03-15-08, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A couple questions about electrical meter...

I'd like to put my panel in a specific location, but its about 15ft. away from where the meter can be. Do I have to pipe between the meter and 200A panel? It seems it would be hard to pipe something that big inside of a wall to a recessed panel, but on the other hand I doubt they make a cable that large for the purpose. I'm confused. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also, do I have to wait till the outside wall has been sided before attatching my meter? Or can I just fasten it to the plywood? Thanks for the help....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-08, 01:44 AM
Wait for a pro's opinion, but You may be able to use SER cable without conduit....

Old 03-15-08, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by lbartowski View Post
I'd like to put my panel in a specific location, but its about 15ft. away from where the meter can be. Do I have to pipe between the meter and 200A panel? It seems it would be hard to pipe something that big inside of a wall to a recessed panel, but on the other hand I doubt they make a cable that large for the purpose. I'm confused. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also, do I have to wait till the outside wall has been sided before attatching my meter? Or can I just fasten it to the plywood? Thanks for the help....

well it can be run in without the pipe BUT please check with your local inspector for more details becasue i do not know what state or area you are in becuse there are quite few diffrent rules to apply to this.

typically normally the meter set up is genrally done by electrician due safety reason and also some other code issue as well.

Merci, Marc

Old 03-15-08, 07:20 AM
Received 85 Votes on 78 Posts
At that distance the cable would need to run outside the house or you need the main disconnect at the meter. The unfused power cable can not run that far inside the house.

Old 03-15-08, 07:27 AM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
those are unfused conductors

Inspectors give a dim view of unnecessary exposure of these conductors inside a dwelling. A big issue with the panel can cause these conductors to "burn down".
It so happens that I had to run about 15' inside my home from meter to panel, but about 12' of that was put inside the poured slab, so I had 2 or 3" of concrete over the pvc conduit. The code gives allowance for concrete encasement, though that really isn't an option inside a 2x4 stud wall.

Old 03-15-08, 07:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You will need to check local code and power company rules, because the service entrance is usually locally regulated.

In my area, you would need to use conduit from the meter to the main panel. It would need to run on the outside surface of the house and turn into the wall with an LB fitting. Also the meter and mast must be fastened to 3/4 treated plywood which can be covered by siding if you prefer.

Old 03-15-08, 12:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Dislocating the panel from the area of the meter base, will probably require you to install a main disconnect type meter base, and as the others said, check with your local authorities and the POCO to find out what they will require.