Interior conduit

Old 03-17-08, 06:20 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Interior conduit

I am running THHN for new circuits inside wall cavities. I will be using PVC conduit. I do not plan on having any pull boxes.

Is it required that the PVC be glued on interior conduit that will not be exposed?

Old 03-17-08, 06:30 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Yes. PVC conduit must be fully assembled and glued before any wires are installed.

Old 03-17-08, 06:41 AM
Also check with your inspector. Some localities require that the joints are "PRIMED" before gluing.(Just like plumbing).

Old 03-17-08, 09:43 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Have you looked into using ENT (smurf tube)? It would be a lot easier to run than PVC, and the only joints will be at boxes. You can buy it in 100-250 ft rolls, I think. Chances are if they allow PVC, they will allow ENT.

Old 03-20-08, 10:39 AM
T
I will check into smurf tube. i was also thinking of EMT. This way I will not have pull boxes as I can pull the wire as I go. I can use connectors and hide the enire run behind drywall.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Old 03-20-08, 10:50 AM
M
Hi, I guess as long as it's in a wall, I'd glue it too. If it was exposed, I wouldn't. Just like drain pipe, as long as there's no pressure in it, you don't have to glue it, that way you can take it apart later on if you have to without any problems.
Mark Peterson

Old 03-20-08, 10:57 AM
I've never heard of not gluing drain pipe. Weight or movement would knock them loose. I don't think I would like sewage running everywhere.

Old 03-20-08, 11:29 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Having run wires both in EMT while assembling it as well as afterwards, I have to say, it's almost always easier to assemble the conduit assembly, run a fish tape through, then pull the wires through. I usually leave a pull string in the conduit for future use.

Some people have recommended tying the pull string to a plastic grocery bag and using a shop vac to pull it through for long conduit runs. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm dying to.

I think you'll have an easier time pulling the wires through after it's all assembled vice doing it as you go.

Old 03-20-08, 11:49 AM
Wow...thats a good idea. Never thought about it.

Old 03-20-08, 12:29 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mpeterson11755
If it was exposed, I wouldn't. Just like drain pipe, as long as there's no pressure in it, you don't have to glue it, that way you can take it apart later on if you have to without any problems.
Are you kidding? Drain pipe always needs to be glued. There is pressure in it as soon as there's a clog and the drainstack fills up. Not to mention the sewer gas seeping through the unsealed joints.

Old 03-20-08, 01:00 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thonati
I will check into smurf tube. i was also thinking of EMT. This way I will not have pull boxes as I can pull the wire as I go. I can use connectors and hide the enire run behind drywall.

Any thoughts from anyone?
EMT is functionally the same as PVC, at least for this purpose, isn't it? I don't understand why you say there is a difference pullbox-wise between the two.

Pulling wires as you assemble the conduit is a bad idea. You still need pull boxes at least every 360 degrees, regardless of when you're pulling in the wire, and those boxes must be accessible for the life of the structure. Do you conduit work first and pull in the wire on rough-in before the wall is closed up.

Old 03-21-08, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks
Are you kidding? Drain pipe always needs to be glued. There is pressure in it as soon as there's a clog and the drainstack fills up. Not to mention the sewer gas seeping through the unsealed joints.
To add to that. If you ever need access to the drainage pipe, its not that hard to cut it and put a coupling where you cut it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: