Rough Inspection Questions

Old 03-19-08, 06:51 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rough Inspection Questions

Hi,
I have nearly finished rough wiring an attached addition on my house. I pulled a homeowners electrical permit to do the work as I had done electrical work in the early 90's. Its been awhile so I have some questions about what state things need to be in for rough inspection.

1.) Do I need to remove all romex sheathing in each box prior to the inspection?

2.) Do my grounds need to be tied? If so what is the right way to do the grounds. Do I need to have one ground extension for each device in the box?

3.) How should wires in the external boxes (for outlets and lights) be prepared?

4.) What should be done in the panel for the rough?

Thank You

Old 03-19-08, 07:24 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
a lot depends on your inspector and what he deems necessary for a rough in inspection

1.) Do I need to remove all romex sheathing in each box prior to the inspection?
shouldn't be a requirement as it is still exposed after wall closing but it would definately look better and your inspec may want it.

2.) Do my grounds need to be tied? If so what is the right way to do the grounds. Do I need to have one ground extension for each device in the box?
same as #1 and no, you do not need a seperat pigtail for each device. Most resi guys I know loop just one around any devices ground screws and the box ground scew (if metal box). Personally I use individual pigtails for each device. Personal preference. Looks nicer if your joints are all made up at this point but should not be a requirement

3.) How should wires in the external boxes (for outlets and lights) be prepared?
Should not have to be made up but I would simply dress them out so all youwould need to do is tie to a lamp feed or device terminal. Looks nicer.

4.) What should be done in the panel for the rough?
grounding electrode conuctor, neutral bond, main bonding jumper all should be installed. Feeds landed.

If you have branch conductors in the panel, it looks nicer and more inpressive if landed to look nice and neat. That last part should not be neccessary but it allows the inpsepctor more chance to look at your work and help him become comfortable with things. It makes his final easier.

anything you can do so the inspector can see examples of your work will help you and him in the remaining inspections. It allows him to see the quality of your work and allows him to be more comfortable with the overall quality of y our work.

Old 03-20-08, 05:22 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As Nap mentioned, a lot depends on your inspector. My last inspection went exactly as he said... the one prior to that ( I do lots of projects) - I was required to tie the grounds together and run pigtails to each device for the rough in.

Old 03-20-08, 06:38 AM
J
Thanks Guys
Great response. Ill let you know how my inspection goes.
Two more questions I can think of now.

1st - I have two detectors one smoke and the other heat in the addition. My understanding is that these need to be tied into the existing smoke detector system in the house. Is this correct?

2cnd - My main panel is 200A, sub is 100A, do I need to tie in the sub panel feed to the sub panel for the rough inspection? Obviously the connection will not be made to the main panel, but should the wire be brought into the main panel at this point?

Old 03-20-08, 08:11 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by JZazz
My understanding is that these need to be tied into the existing smoke detector system in the house. Is this correct?
Most of the time this is a requirement, yes. Even if it's not, it's a darn good idea to do so anyway.

do I need to tie in the sub panel feed to the sub panel for the rough inspection? Obviously the connection will not be made to the main panel, but should the wire be brought into the main panel at this point?
It's really up to the preference of the inspector as to what must be done for rough and what can be done for rough. My personal preference, like Nap, is to have a lot done for the rough: sheath stripped, grounds tied, pigtails, panels mostly done. I would have the subpanel feeder tied in both at the main and at the sub for rough, but it probably wouldn't be required to be done.

I think it's easier to do most of the work at an earlier stage before other "stuff" gets in the way. It's easier for the inspector to see everything at rough and get his job done fast (which every inspector appreciates).

Old 03-20-08, 12:08 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JZazz
Thanks Guys
Great response. Ill let you know how my inspection goes.

1st - I have two detectors one smoke and the other heat in the addition. My understanding is that these need to be tied into the existing smoke detector system in the house. Is this correct?
If possible!!! sometimes there simply is no way to interconnect without tearing out major drywall work.... I've always (6 remodels in 4 years) found that the inspectors are happy with hardwired detectors equipped with battery backup even if they are not interconnected. Not saying it's right - just saying it's so......

Old 04-03-08, 09:40 AM
J
Nap, regarding "grounding electrode conductor, neutral bond, main bonding jumper all should be installed. Feeds landed."

My garage is attached, the subpanel is ~15' from Main panel. I believe a seperate grounding electrode for my subpanel is not required. Is this true?

Thanks

Old 04-03-08, 09:49 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
A grounding electrode is not required for a panel in an attached garage. The feeder to the subpanel must be four wires (separate ground and neutral).

Old 04-05-08, 09:36 AM
J
4 Wires?

Thanks ipBooks,
My feed wire is 2 gau. aluminum, XHHW. This cable includes a ground and two wires. The ground is tied into the main panel and the sub. Two feed wires from the 100 AMP breaker in my 200 Amp main panel go to the two wires in my 100 Amp main breaker in the subpanel.
What is the fourth wire?

Old 04-05-08, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Subpanels in attached units are required to be fed with a 4 wire feed. Two hots, and insulated neutral and a ground wire. A cable assembly called SER is commonly used.

Do you have a cable like this or is it really 2 hots and a bare? If it is you need to refeed the panel.

Old 04-05-08, 11:20 AM
J
Thanks PCBoss,
Yes, I did purchase the wrong cable. Thanks for the info. Ill correct the problem.

Old 04-05-08, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Thank you, as long as you are doing it you want to do it correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: