Losing Outlets

Old 03-20-08, 06:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Losing Outlets

Hello there,

I'd greatly appreciate any help you may have for me. My master bathroom outlet went bad two weeks ago, and then last week my guest bathroom outlet went bad. Now an outdoor outlet is bad. I'm not sure exactly when the outdoor outlet went bad. So I used an outlet detector to test the outlets and was given no lights, indicating no power. I tested the detector in functioning outlets and it does work. I checked the failed outlets themselves and discovered all the wires are screwed to the posts tightly. I reset every breaker in the house, because my breaker box is not labeled for every breaker. I then checked my GFI outlets and reset them, and still the outlets will not function. Is my next step to purchase and install new breakers in my breaker box? If so, in order to avoid shock can I shut off the main breaker and that will work?

Thanks!

Mike

Old 03-20-08, 06:57 PM
First things first...

As soon as your outlets are fixed...Get your panel mapped and labeled..Your situation at the moment would be a Gazillion times easier, if you could narrow down which circuit is causing the problem.

Next.. Stand in the middle of your house, Looking in the direction of the failed outlets. Logically imagine the shortest path they would take back to the main Panel.

Are they all in the same path???....Counting any light fixtures and switch boxes, Is there anything else that could follow this same path?

Rule of thumb, The problem with a non working location in a string can be traced to either the first in the string that doesnt work, or the last one that does.

Since you dont know what is on this particular string, you may very well be condemned to opening every outlet box in the house , to find the issue. Be patient it is "Do-Able".

Old 03-20-08, 07:38 PM
S
Perhaps you have a GFI somewhere that is not accounted for? Read about it in these posts all the time. "Oh I forgot about the GFI behind the couch or some such discovery!!! All outside receptacles are required to be on a GFI as are bathrooms (I'm sure you know this already) unless the house is very old of course.

Old 03-20-08, 09:15 PM
J
Received 307 Votes on 263 Posts
Sounds like an older home where the garage, outdoor and bathrooms were all put on one GFCI. This was a very common practice. Look for the tripped GFCI in the garage, outdoor receptacle or in a bathroom. Most commonly it is found in the garage behind something that hasn't moved in years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: