need help plz

Old 03-21-08, 12:38 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need help plz

Hello I have a outlet and underneath the outlet is a 220 outlet but to the normal outlet there is only one wire coming down but there is 2 connected to the 220 can i use the 220 outlet wires and hook up the normal outlet or will it be two much power for the normal outlet?
Confused and in need of help in Nebraska

Old 03-21-08, 12:45 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You can probably convert the 240 receptacoe to a 120 receptacle. What size breaker turns off the 240 receptacle(it shoulde be double pole)? Does it turn off the 120 receptacle above it at the same time?
With the breaker off open the double pole and tell us the wire connections.

Old 03-27-08, 01:08 PM
H
No you can't use the 220v outlet for 120v power because you are missing a neutral wire (usually white).

Old 03-27-08, 01:31 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hollett4704
No you can't use the 220v outlet for 120v power because you are missing a neutral wire (usually white).
If this is NM installed for an AC then I must politely disagree. There will be a black wire, white wire (maybe re-designated) and a ground. At the panel you move the white wire from the breaker to the neutral bar. If it is a 2pole 20a you don't even have to change the breaker. If 30a then you need to change to a smaller breaker. (Preceding assumes #12 or larger wire. Adjust accordingly for #14.)

Old 03-27-08, 02:51 PM
If this is NM installed for an AC then I must politely disagree. There will be a black wire, white wire (maybe re-designated) and a ground. At the panel you move the white wire from the breaker to the neutral bar. If it is a 2pole 20a you don't even have to change the breaker. If 30a then you need to change to a smaller breaker. (Preceding assumes #12 or larger wire. Adjust accordingly for #14.)
I must agree with Ray. However, I would definitely install a single 20 a Breaker. Reason being, with all the "Hoopla" and changes to the code regarding MWBC's, Why play with it. ?

A few weeks back someone on our appliance forum had this question in reverse. Some monkey Brigade electrician made a 220 dryer plug out of the 120 v Washer receptacle. 30 amp breaker, 12/2 romex, and a three wire Receptacle. I think What Ray is suggesting would be the "REPAIR" for this abortion of a dryer outlet.

The only problem I see is, #10 wire may be too difficult and bulky to work with a standard receptacle.

Old 03-27-08, 03:20 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I agree replacing the 2 pole breaker is best. Where I ran into this were apartments where the owner bought refurbished ACs without regard to voltage. As ACs broke they were swapped out with whatever voltage AC was available. The 240 breaker was left in place because 3 months later it might again be needed. (All were #12 so no problem but for #10 I would pigtail. #12s)

Now a question I have based on my reply. If the white has been colored black can you re-designate it back to white with tape?

Old 03-27-08, 03:35 PM
Now a question I have based on my reply. If the white has been colored black can you re-designate it back to white with tape?
Technically, No. Wire smaller than #4 may not be remarked.

But, ...Any inspector who would give you a hard time over a piece of white tape , on an Originally white wire....Either had a bad day, or needed a "Concrete reason " to fail otherwise "SLipshot" work.

Old 03-28-08, 10:55 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Article 200.7(C) allows the reidentification of the white wire when it is part of a cable assembly such as romex, AC cable, MC cable, etc. no matter what the size.

Old 03-29-08, 01:02 AM
S
Smile

This is a nice discussion, but I personlly would not get involved(lol) For 50 bucks maybe? (lol) Wonder If crazy 8689 is following all this?? (lol) Hey It's Fri. night and I ain't got a date.

Old 03-29-08, 07:47 AM
Article 200.7(C) allows the reidentification of the white wire when it is part of a cable assembly such as romex, AC cable, MC cable, etc. no matter what the size.
I respectfully concede.....

As Marc (French277) pointed out a few threads back, New code now requires that switch loops and cable assemblies be remarked. I just got stuck in the time warp for a few minutes.

This is a nice discussion, but I personlly would not get involved(lol) For 50 bucks maybe?
Why not, .....This is a DIY forum. all input and viewpoints are welcome..

As long as your breaker panel is labeled, and you have read "Wiring simplified" at least twice, and you dont use backstabs, Your opinions are always welcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: