replacing outlets in an old building

Old 03-23-08, 03:00 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacing outlets in an old building

i need to replace all outlets in my apartment, however they are old and non standard. how do i cheaply install new outlets in these non-standard wall holes?

Old 03-23-08, 03:22 PM
First off.... It is unwise, unsafe and probably illegal to do anything more involved than light bulb replacement in a property that you do not own...If even by the slimmest chance something were to go wrong, you could end up in Jail.

Having said that, and leaving you to your own choices...

What is not standard about them? Are they two prong and you need 3 prong, Or are they a different "SIZE " altogether?

Old 03-23-08, 05:42 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by skx172
i need to replace all outlets in my apartment
Do you own or rent?

however they are old and non standard.
Elaborate on "non-standard".

Old 03-23-08, 05:55 PM
I agree with what the other guys said.

But, many people are worried because they have two prong ungrounded receptacles throughout their house. For the most part, practically all small portable appliances only have two prong plugs. The only place it is a real problem is where equipment that needs to be grounded such as washers, gas dryer, refrigerator, microwave, etc are in use.

Check with your landlord. Unless some city code requires it, they are under no obligation to upgrade any electrical, unless it is inherently unsafe.

Old 03-23-08, 11:23 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This is one of few area that most memebers will not cross the line is the rental place. due the legal reason and safety issue with the rental place.

I done quite few rental place for repairs and really for you the best way is concat the Landlord and see what they have to say with your situation.

Most landlord is pretty good with this details so ask them and they can decided themself if they want to repair themself or get a electrician to come in.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-24-08, 04:31 AM
S
its a condo that i own.

and what is non-standart is that the existing recepticles are not screwed into a junction box, they kind of just hang out in the wall each one is kind of jerry rigged. I want to replace them because they are falling apart, with too mutch pain on them.

Old 03-24-08, 05:36 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
There should be a box in the wall that they screw to. If you have no boxes then they need to be installed.
If you have boxes that are loose then they need to be fastened in place. How they get fastened would depend on the type of construction you have. They still might need to be replaced.

Old 03-24-08, 08:22 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by skx172
the existing recepticles are not screwed into a junction box, they kind of just hang out in the wall each one is kind of jerry rigged.
If there really is no box, then you have quite a serious problem. You would need to mount old-work boxes for the receptacles to mount to. This would be an example of very poor workmanship which would make me very nervous about what might be buried behind the walls.

Is there any way you could post a link to a picture on a photo sharing site?

Old 03-24-08, 09:31 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I have seen this in mobile homes where there was no boxes. The yokes were just screwed to the paneling. I have also seen it in regular very old houses where openings were cut in the baseboards for receptacles and in door trim for light switches but a condo? Did you just just buy this? Did you have an inspection? Maybe you have action against the seller. I think you should get the whole building inspected by an electrician. There may be problems you wouldn't see. Are there other "apartments" attached to yours? Do they have the same wiring. Even if you fix your problems you'd still be surrounded by problems.

Old 03-31-08, 06:38 PM
S
ok the boxes are there aparently, i was just a little blind.

however, someone placed a sheet of sheetrock over the old wall and now when i screw in the recepticle it does not mount against the wall, rather it goes deep into the wall past the sheetrock making it imposble to screw in the wall plate. how can make the recepticle screw flush against the sheet rock.

Old 03-31-08, 07:03 PM
You have a common problem with an easy fix. You need to buy a "box extender". I'm pretty sure I've seen them at the big box stores.

click on the link below:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...gton/Item/BE1/

Steve

Old 04-01-08, 02:33 PM
S
I have used the blue box extenders they sell at Home Depot...

Just an FYI, for the ones that Home Depot sells (and probably others), you need to break the plaster ears off the receptacles to get them to seat right, so the cover will be flush against the wall (this is true for remodel boxes too).

I have 3 outlets that I need to go back and break the tabs off, as I finally figured out why they didn't fit quite right...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: