Removing switch box

Old 03-25-08, 04:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing switch box

I been following this site (electrical)for a few weeks now.I really enjoy reading other forums.Thank You to all the volunteers who give their profesional advice.

#1) We lived her for 4 years now the last owners did some really bad electrical workmanship.The wall in the kitchen and dining room there was a double switch box when house built.Thats O.K. looks good except right above the double the prev. owners put a single switch box in.I would like to take both single and double out and put one triple box in.My problem is I cannot figure out how to remove the staples holding romex in top and bottom of box.Of course this is all finished with drywall.I did not really want to create a large hole to gain access to boxes.

#2)House was built in 1977 we have 14-2 romex rated at 60 C. 12-2 romex rated at.......? not sure can not see nothing on wire. Is it safe and legal to run junction box off old 12-2 run new wire 12-2 to recessed lighting.There will be a total of 33 lights on this circuit 50 watt bulbs.There is 5 recepts on the 12-2 circuit nothinig else.

Old 03-25-08, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
If you cut the hole for the 3 gang box you can probably access the staples and nails holding the box.

You cannot add the new lights to the kitchen receptacle circuit.

Before you add 1650 watts of lighting to a circuit you need to find out what else is on that circuit. Most likely you will need to add a new circuit.

The gauge of the wire does not effect its insulation rating. Since you house was pre 87 the insulation will be 60 C regardless.

Old 03-25-08, 06:07 PM
S
33 lights?! How big of an area is this?

Old 03-25-08, 11:25 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 63zerb
I been following this site (electrical)for a few weeks now.I really enjoy reading other forums.Thank You to all the volunteers who give their profesional advice.

#1) We lived her for 4 years now the last owners did some really bad electrical workmanship.The wall in the kitchen and dining room there was a double switch box when house built.Thats O.K. looks good except right above the double the prev. owners put a single switch box in.I would like to take both single and double out and put one triple box in.My problem is I cannot figure out how to remove the staples holding romex in top and bottom of box.Of course this is all finished with drywall.I did not really want to create a large hole to gain access to boxes.

#2)House was built in 1977 we have 14-2 romex rated at 60 C. 12-2 romex rated at.......? not sure can not see nothing on wire. Is it safe and legal to run junction box off old 12-2 run new wire 12-2 to recessed lighting.There will be a total of 33 lights on this circuit 50 watt bulbs.There is 5 recepts on the 12-2 circuit nothinig else.
Oh man.,, yes you can go from 2 gang to 3 gang but however i will give you a stern warning before you start take it apart MARK all the wires what they hook up to and what splice they are etc etc take a photo and also take a tape and mark them down as well so you know which way they go.

now next item is you mention 33 luminaires with 50 watters that heckva alot of luminaires what ya running on Low voltage verison or line voltage cans or what ?? that much of luminaire wattage i really suggest that it have to be on it own circuit anyway [ rather be on 20 amp circuit with #12-2 romex wires ] you will end up split the layout in few circuits after the switch box location you will may end up 2 or more switches or more depending on the layout and if you going to use the dimmer route keep in your mind if you get 1000 watt or higher dimmer my suggest from my past expernice get them on it own single gang box due the heating effect on the large dimmer.

I done alot with 1500 w dimmer and they useally are very specifecly they are reqired it own single gang box and dont bundle all the single gang box together you have to keep them spaced or stagger them or stack one above or below.

typically most dimmer over 1000 watt rating get pretty pricey but they work good if you do it right.

most older home used the old romex the are rated for 60°C wires but however the more modern wire the NM-B are at 90°C so it may make a little diffrence but however with the NEC we always read the ampcapicty[for the romax]at 60°C instead of 90°C at all which that why it get little confuseing with the ampcapicty itself.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-26-08, 05:27 AM
Thank you for the input...........To clarify my plan better...Our house is 1600 sq.ft. not a really large home.The 33 recessed is throughout the house.Each room would have its own dimmer switch.>Kitchen 9 Recessed
>Dining Room 4 " "
>Living Room 6
>Office 4 " ''
>Spare Room 4 " ""
>Master BR 6 " "
The existing circuit I propose to tie into is in the Dining room.This is a 12-2 circuit with only 5 recepts.There is nothing on this circuit from kitchen.
#1) Would this be considered an SABC in Dining room if nothing in kitchen is on it?
I would run a new circuit and not even mess with existing 12-2.To make a long story short a sub panel would be needed.The drop down from attic to main I have 1.250 pvc with circuits I added.It is FULL.I should have added a sub from the get go.

Old 03-26-08, 06:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Yes, the dining room receptacles are one of the areas that can be off the SABC. Do not add the lighting to this.

It might make more sense to try to tie into existing circuits in the rooms where you are adding the lights.

Old 03-26-08, 07:38 PM
pcboss......I did consider tieing into existing circuits.For the most part its all a big mess..example.....circuit one feeds two bedroom recepts,front two B.R. lights ,Hallway lights,attic lights,pantry lights,front two B.R. ceiling fans,outdoor recep.Circuit 2 ..(Banging head on wall)mess.....

I thought it would be more feesible one circuit w/ 5 existing recepts rest of run is recessed lights(split up by rooms)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: