Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replacing old wire in bathroom, looking for new wire setup

Old 03-26-08, 11:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

First off I live in an old house in which I am slowly trying to make improvements on in my spare time. Aren't most of us, though. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago in our bathroom the light over the sink started flickering every now and then. I didn't really think much of it then. But about 3 or 4 days ago the breaker has been tripping on that circuit about 2 to 3 times a day. I do believe their is potential of overloading on this circuit but I don't believe that is the reason. I think I have a short somewhere in the old wires or hookups. So I thought this would be a good time to just replace the old wiring in the bathroom and give it it's own circuit.

This is where I need some help.

On this circuit I'm going to have a double switch box (one switch for light over sink, one switch for Fan/Light over shower), a double receptacle box, and a single receptacle box.

I wanted to know what my safest wiring options would be to make this work.

Old 03-27-08, 04:48 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
almost all the bathroom reqired a 20 amp circuit anyway and this is the only bathroom you going to work on it ??

if so this a pretty straght foward task just run the new 12-2 NM romex wire run the new power wire to the switch box first hook up all the light switch there then take the power lead from the light switch junction box go to the repectales there you put in a GFCI repectale on one then downstream with 2 conventail repectales of your choice however keep in your mind the code is pretty specific it can put in anywhere withen 36 inch of sink area.

[ if you need the NEC code i can pull it up later and get the refernce number to ya and maybe there is a local issue also there so check with your building dept for this matter ]

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: