Wiring an old doorbell

Old 03-27-08, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring an old doorbell

I took down the old doorbell for us to do some remodeling and now for the life of me I can't remember how the wires went to hook it back up. There are 3 green and 3 yellow ones. I know the greens ones were hooked up, do these need to be in a particular order? It is an old nutone doorbell, it has the markings by the screws for the front, rear, and transformer. I have looked all over for some info on how to hook it back up but can't find a thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-08, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It should be pretty straght foward to hook them up but before we start there is set of wire is 3 pairs of wires going up to the doorbell location [ it should have total of 6 wire there] ??

because one of them is from transformer and one will go to the backdoor and one for the front doorbell

if you have low voltage tester or DDM [ digtial multi meter] and read the voltage one of the 3 set of wires it will be powered from transformer then you have to " ring" the front and back doorbell pushbutton so it will tell by the ohm reading it will change when you or someone else push the button then mark it down which one with one hot wire from transformer tie them together and hook it up to the common screw [ it will marked common ] then take other lead from transformer and tie two other wires together and one wire will go either front or rear

here the diagram

hope this will help with this one

Merci,Marc