Garage outlet max height ?

Old 03-28-08, 05:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage outlet max height ?

Hi all,
I'm in the middle of constructing a new garage (28x58) and am getting ready to rough in the electrical. I've searched through all of the posts, but did not find an answer. My question concerns the maximum height (NEC) allowed for a duplex recepticle. The front half of my garage has 11' foot walls and a 16' foot ceiling to allow for an auto lift and I would like to put outlets up high on the wall for clocks or neon signs and the like. Any restrictions ?
Thanks and great forum btw.

Old 03-28-08, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
There is no specific requirement in the NEC. You will want to install them higher than any future workbench you may install, so if your bench is 36", then you could place them at 40" or so. The more the better. Higher ones for clocks and lighted signs would be fine. I would have them on a different circuit, however, just in case you tripped the one you were using on the bench, the clock wouldn't stop.

Old 03-28-08, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Larry, I appreciate it.

Old 03-28-08, 08:17 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
useally there is no max hieght restriction but however this one item kinda almost overlooked for min height restriction 18 inches is the lowest you can go [ for good safety reason ]

but however with work bench i useally mount the same height as the switches are so it look nice [ most are at 42~48 inches high]

however if you are on the 08 code cycle unforetally everything on 120 v circuit have to be on GFCI so give you a head up with it.

if need more question just ask us

as far what i did with my garage i have 40X60 foot with 18 foot ceiling for my main lighting i have 400 w pulse start Metal halide lowbay luminaire it really light up my shop very nice but i did also have few 8 footer [ 4- F32-T8 strip luminaire] above workbench and one near the middle of the shop area as well.

there are pretty good size 8 footer you can use with that high of ceiling

Merci,Marc

Old 03-31-08, 09:22 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
As the garage requires at least one GFI protected 'utility' receptacle, that one needs to be mounted between 18" and probably about 6' (I forget if it's 5'6" or 6' or 6'6"). Anything else you add is above and beyond.

One suggestion I received some time ago that I thought was a great idea is to mount your general purpose wall receptacles at about 49" to the bottom of the box. This way, when there's a sheet of plywood or sheetrock leaning up against the wall, you still have access to the receptacle.

I'd also recommend protecting basically all garage receptacles with GFI regardless of whether they will be 'special purpose' or not (even if you're not on the 2008 code cycle). I've seen a number of people climb a ladder to plug christmas lights into the garage door opener circuit, even with an 11' ceiling!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: