Switch connection question

Old 03-29-08, 06:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch connection question

This double gang SW box is located on the kitchen wall. It is not a new install and the entire setup is existing. House built in '85.The SP switch controls LR ceiling light. The 3-way switch controls the kitchen lights, which are also controlled from the other end of the kitchen. The SP switch needed replacing. Both ceiling lights are on the same breaker. The 3-way WAS NOT tampered with. From left to right I will call the cables entering the box as #1, #2, #3.
With the breaker ON the 3-way for the kitchen light continues to work just fine. Also, with the breaker on the only conductors that have power are the white conductor from Cable#3 and the red conductor from Cable# 3. Also, the red conductor from Cable #3 does NOT connect to another 3-way SW. The pigtail (added piece of black conductor) also has power.
Both the black and white conductors from Cable#1 have no power. I need to wire the SP switch for the LR light and nothing is seeming to work. Any ideas. As ususal THANKS! -Bob

Old 03-29-08, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The black and white from cable one are your neutral and current carrying wire that go to the light (load). You will get your power (line) from the pigtail black wire going to the bottom screw of the sp switch. If the white in cable two is hot, then you need to check the pigtail for good connections between all three wires. Cable 3's red wire probably goes to a receptacle below, since you don't show it in the scheme of things. Let us know what you find out.

Old 03-29-08, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Larry and thank you. But, won't one of the conductors from cable one have to be included in the pigtail also?
-Bob

Old 03-29-08, 08:05 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
is this the same topic as we were talking little while back ??

beside addtional info with the red wire on right XX-3 conductors ??

If so i can merge the whole thing so we can be on the common thread to keep it going instead of too many spotty details

Merci,Marc

Last edited by french277V; 03-29-08 at 08:07 AM. Reason: opps i hit the entre key too fast
Old 03-29-08, 10:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The black wire will be hot when you throw the switch to the on position. That is why it is called "load".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: