The Flow of Electricity

Old 03-29-08, 08:40 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The Flow of Electricity

Now, this is probably somewhat simple and the answer is yes but before I started (re)doing this - I wanted confirmation.

Now I will try to make it somewhat simple (I hope). Now, you know you have an electrical outlet and electricity should flow from that outlet to (let's say the extension cord) (maybe up).

However, my question is somewhat simple - can electricity flow "down" the electrical outlet? Basically we have a structured media enclosure and it has a few electrical outlets. We have a UPS for this now and need to install it. So instead of having the outlets in this structured media enclosure being powered from the house, it will be powered via the UPS.

For making it "look nice" (even though this is in a basement but that is a rant ) - I need to consider having the electricity flow from the UPS into the "wall outlet" which will then be wired to the outlets in the structured media enclosure.

I assume that the electricity will go both ways, I mean there is a connection but just wanted to make sure this would work (or maybe if someone has other ideas on how to power the structured media enclosure via the UPS). If you did, I would not be opposed by it of course.

Old 03-29-08, 08:55 AM
Electricity flows from power to neutral. Period. Up , down sideways, Over the river and thru the woods to grandmas house. It doesnt care as long as it meets its neutral .

In theory, what you propose would work, but wait for a "better Versed" pro , concerning code legalities and safety.

Ahhhh. I missed something in the translation.... You wish to use a receptacle to feed the "Media CENTER'?

Old 03-29-08, 08:57 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
First for correct terminology what you are calling an outlet is more properly called a receptacle. It is a female device for connection to an electricity supply.
For making it "look nice" (even though this is in a basement but that is a rant
For making it "look nice" (even though this is in a basement but that is a rant ) - I need to consider having the electricity flow from the UPS into the "wall outlet" which will then be wired to the outlets in the structured media enclosure. ) - I need to consider having the electricity flow from the UPS into the "wall outlet" which will then be wired to the outlets in the structured media enclosure.
The device you use here should be an inlet not a "wall outlet". An inlet is a male device. The reason being you would otherwise have to use a cord set with male plugs on both ends. That would create a dangerous condition if one end was plugged in and one wasn't. You'd have exposed, live metal prongs.

Old 03-29-08, 09:00 AM
C
Inlet, that was the word. I knew I heard it a few times in the past but memory is not that great. Thanks again!

Old 03-29-08, 09:07 AM
In an effort to keep it "Nice Lookin'" ..Head over to your electrical supply house. They will have tons of stuff that you can use safely and legally, that will fill your "Neatness" requirements.

What will work, and what is safe, do not always co-incide.

Old 03-30-08, 05:54 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The correct way to do this is to unplug everything from the outlets in the structured media enclosure and plug them into the UPS. Then plug the UPS into one of the outlets in the enclosure. Consider installing a shelf next to the enclosure to hold the UPS.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: