moving light switch

Old 03-30-08, 04:17 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
moving light switch

ok so we goofed up'd just got done redoing are bathroom.
and no one thought about is .the light switch is behind the door. so you have to shut the door to turn on the light switch. so I would like to move the switch,to the other side of the door. I don't want to have to take down a new wall to do it, my wife would shoot me.what I would like to do,is just run a new wire from the were the switch is now over to the other side.just hook up all the wire's in the old Junction Box,and cover it up and run the new to the new switch on the other side.can I do something like that? any ideals ?

Thanks
Ron

Old 03-30-08, 06:18 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can do that, but you can't bury the old box behind drywall. The junction has to remain accessible. You'll be stuck looking at a blank cover plate forever (unless you hang a picture over it).

How is the circuit powered? From the light? Since you have access and can run cable from the old position to the new, it seems like it would be just as easy to just run a new switch leg and abandon the old wiring. This won't work, though, if the circuit is powered at the switch.

Old 03-30-08, 08:57 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
how many switches and what they run for vanity light or ceiling light with fan ??

it can be doable but you can not bury the box and you can get blank cover for it

let us know how the switch set up maybe there are few tricks it can be done.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-30-08, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Maybe you could turn the box around and turn the switch on before you enter the room.

Old 03-30-08, 12:14 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Would it be an option to hang the door on the other side of the opening?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: