Please Help me

Old 03-30-08, 11:19 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Please Help me

I just removed a baseboard heater since it is old and we have another source of heat. Now I have a wire sticking out of the floor including the hot, the neutral and the copper ground. I don't want to connect these to anything right now but I also don't want to get shocked. What is the safe way to cap these wires? The circuit is off but I don't want to leave open wires.

Old 03-30-08, 11:31 AM
120v or 240 v?

Do you ever plan on using these wires again? What size are they?

A piece of thin fisshing line tied to the ends, cap the wire with wire nuts and push it into the floor. Remove the wires from the circuit breaker, "Nut and Tape" and push them off to the side of the breaker panel. A piece of masking tape on the wire, to identify where it goes. I usually write "Abandoned" and a Location, on the tape.

If you dont plan on using them again, push them into the floor, and push them out of the breaker panel. Once the wires are completely dead, you can safely just leave them in the wall.

Old 03-30-08, 11:43 AM
A
thanks please clarify

Thanks for the answer. 110 or 220, I'm not sure. I hadn't thought to disconnect the wire from the box. I don't know yet if I will be using this later. Please pardon my ignorance but in capping it would I combine the wires under one wire nut or put a separate wire nut on each (the black, the white and the copper)? Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-30-08, 11:49 AM
Is this a "Double width breaker".... This makes the difference 120 to 240v.

My preference would be ..once they are disconnected from the panel, wire nut the three wires together, on both ends. This prevents the slim chance that a nut will fall off one of the tails , and come in contact with a live object. Do not do this with the wires attached to the breaker.

I wouldnt abandon it completely. You will kick yourself really hard if someday you need an extra receptacle on that wall , and you have to redo it.

Old 03-30-08, 11:59 AM
A
One more detail

Thanks again. Yes, it is a double circuit. How might this (being a double circuit) affect things? Yes, I also agree that it worth keeping these wires handy just in case.

Old 03-30-08, 12:17 PM
How might this (being a double circuit) affect things?
After 1986 or 87, all new 240 appliance circuits are required to be 4 wire supplied, for new installations. You only have 3 wires, so therefore ,technically it wont be "Legal" to use it for a 240v application any longer. With a bit of ingenuity, you may however use it as a Dedicated circuit for a 120v air conditioner, or a wall receptacle if you choose to go that route.

Old 03-30-08, 12:24 PM
A
Thank You.

Thanks very much for your time and for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it.

Old 03-30-08, 12:27 PM
Youre quite welcome.
It isnt often that a poster confirms that they understand what they have been told. This simple little detail is what makes the time spent here worthwhile.

Old 03-30-08, 07:07 PM
C
Originally Posted by Unclediezel
After 1986 or 87, all new 240 appliance circuits are required to be 4 wire supplied, for new installations. You only have 3 wires, so therefore ,technically it wont be "Legal" to use it for a 240v application any longer. With a bit of ingenuity, you may however use it as a Dedicated circuit for a 120v air conditioner, or a wall receptacle if you choose to go that route.
Not quite.

The year was 1996. After that, new or modified 120/240 appliance circuits (namely range and dryer) could only be 4 wire. new 240 only circuits, as a baseboard electric heater or A/C would use, can still be 3 wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: