Stainless cover plate + plastic j-box?

Old 03-30-08, 03:33 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stainless cover plate + plastic j-box?

I have a Carlon blue plastic remodel j-box next to my hood for the dedicated connection. I would like to install a blank stainless steel cover plate to match the hood. I assume it is not OK to attach a metal plate on a plastic box if it is ungrounded. Is there a way to ground the plate? Maybe attach some kind of ground loop around the screw between the plate and the box?

Old 03-30-08, 03:36 PM
Im sure one of the "Pros" will chime in shortly, But I dont know of any regulation that would require you to ground a cover plate.

Old 03-30-08, 04:22 PM
R
Thanks anyone care to confirm?

Old 03-30-08, 04:29 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Romy.,, bear with us we will give you a confrimed answer in a moment ATM i am look up with the code book now

however my SOP i useally do is add a luminaire yoke then tie in the ground wire on the yoke and that metal box cover will be grounded in safe manner.

[ if the NEC say diffrent i will add more comment on seprated post later ]

Merci,Marc

Old 03-30-08, 09:37 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Might not be 100% kosher, but I certainly have put a blank steel cover on a plastic box before.

Old 03-30-08, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Romy07
…I have a Carlon blue plastic remodel j-box next to my hood for the dedicated connection. I would like to install a blank stainless steel cover plate to match the hood. I assume it is not OK to attach a metal plate on a plastic box if it is ungrounded. Is there a way to ground the plate?…
I’m not an electrician or a code (NEC) guru but I have some expertise with things electric.

There can be little doubt that the NEC does require a conductive cover plate to be bonded to the ‘safety grounding wire’ (EGC).

Since I’m not in the business, I don’t know the terminology but I believe you need a “strap mount” stainless cover plate plus the strap to mount it on. The strap would have provision for a grounding connection and mount to the electric box. The screws for the cover plate screw into the strap thus grounding the cover. The 'box mount' cover plate and the 'strap mount' cover plate differ only in the screw hole locations. What Marc calls a "yoke" may be what I call a "strap".

Your local electrical supplier is probably your best bet to get what you need.

Originally Posted by Romy07
…Maybe attach some kind of ground loop around the screw between the plate and the box?
That might be electrically sound, but the NEC only allows approved methods and devices.

Steve

Old 03-30-08, 11:31 PM
R
Thanks again, I will go to the electrical supply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: