Wire is too big for connector

Old 03-30-08, 10:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wire is too big for connector

For those not following the saga, I'm replacing an old subpanel in my garage. It's fed by 6-3 with #10 bare ground, and protected with a 50 amp breaker in the main panel.

The garage subpanel has another 50 amp breaker that feeds a 3'rd building. I got the new panel, a Square D 100 amp with 20 slots, all mounted when I realized the 3'rd building is fed with #4 wire, not #6. Good for lower resistance, but bad for me because the neutral bar seems to only have holes big enough for #6.

If that wasn't bad enough, they also used #4 for the ground, so I have the same problem on the ground bar. At least the wire fits into the breaker...

So, what can I do? Do I have to buy another panel? Or is there a way to attach the #4? Since #4 was used only because of the distance, could I add a #6 pigtail to the #4?

Another question: the #4 wires are marked with numbers, 1, 2, 3, and 4, but are otherwise all black insulation. Do I need to place red, white, and green tape on the appropriate wires, or are the numbers sufficient?

-- Rich

Old 03-31-08, 07:18 AM
Square D makes an adapter for this purpose. I believe it is called PK70AN. It has two small "Legs" that slip under the Neutral Bar screws, and provides a hole capable of #2 wire.

Correctly colored tape at the ends and all visibly accessible points along the way , is the correct and "Legal" method for remarking Wires. It may not seem like a big deal, But the guy who re-does the electric in your home 30 years from now is in for a surprise. It also may not get past an Inspector, and taping them after they are terminated is far less than a JOY.

**Sorry***---LK70AN

Old 03-31-08, 07:23 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Can you run the model number of that breaker box ??

the reason why i ask becuse i can able tell if there is a opening for the #4 wire to fit in [ is the #4 is bare ground wire [ soild or stranded ? ]

there is a adpator that can fit in either netual busbar or ground busbar if my memory serve me right it is LK70AN that is a adpator to fit in either netural busbar or ground busbar

I belive they should have that in most bigbox store if not you can stop by one of the electrical supply centre they will have this part on hand.

now with the wire you see marked 1,2,3,4 now that kinda annoy me a bit however if you go to the main box and see how they did termated and marked then you able to use the colour tape to correct that mistake and i really seriously advise you to test those wire BEFORE you make the final connection on the breaker box.

oh on sub feed useage if you have green bonding screw please discharge it.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-01-08, 07:50 AM
R
Yay! The adapter a couple of you pointed out did the trick nicely! THANK YOU!!!

Originally Posted by french277V
Can you run the model number of that breaker box ??
It's a HOM20M100C.

the reason why i ask becuse i can able tell if there is a opening for the #4 wire to fit in [ is the #4 is bare ground wire [ soild or stranded ? ]
I'm pretty certain #6 is the biggest that will fit in the stock holes. My #4 is stranded.

now with the wire you see marked 1,2,3,4 now that kinda annoy me a bit however if you go to the main box and see how they did termated and marked then you able to use the colour tape to correct that mistake and i really seriously advise you to test those wire BEFORE you make the final connection on the breaker box.
The #4 actually goes *from* the subpanel I'm working on to another subpanel on the other side of the yard (not to the main panel). Don't worry, I did already verify that #1 & #2 are the hots, #3 is neutral, and #4 is ground. I'm putting on the tape (at both ends) so the next guy won't need to do that.

Thanks for the help!
-- Rich

Old 04-01-08, 08:12 AM
I'm pretty certain #6 is the biggest that will fit in the stock holes. My #4 is stranded.
Yes ..#6 is the largest that will fit. In some cases even that is a tight squeeze.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: