Device box adapter?

Old 03-31-08, 06:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Device box adapter?

Hello, I have a double gang box that originally had 2 devices in it. Now, I will only be having one device in the box. Is there and adapter ring or something so the single device can be centered in the 4" box?
-THANKS!

Old 03-31-08, 07:20 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Presumably you are talking about a mud ring set in sheetrock. I could find nothing a few years back. If you are talking about metal surface mount, you should be able to find a centered arrangement.

What kind of device?

For a standard duplex receptacle, Leviton makes a 2-gang with one blank gang that mounts directly on the box holes, so you don't need a mounting yoke.

For a GFCI or Decora, Leviton makes a similar plate but you need a mounting yoke.

I don't recall if they make a toggle switch plate with similar arrangement.

Your cheapest option is to use a 2-device where one side is a standard toggle, and put a dummy toggle in there. You can get cheap toggles for less than a buck, while a toggle blank filler costs a couple of bucks. (I do not know what code says about switches that do nothing; since I was being inspected I just bought the blanks.)

If you need more info on the Leviton stuff re-post in this thread and I will look it up.

Old 03-31-08, 07:31 AM
Hi Arg, it is a double SW box that now only requires a single SP switch. I was hoping I could center the SP switch in the exisiting box.
-Bob

Old 03-31-08, 07:36 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If this is a mud ring yes it very easy to get a single opening verison it will centred up.

many bigbox stores and hardware store useally stock this item and it is pretty common item you can find but however a instering twist here if you have nail on box with standard two gang box you can get a blank yoke [ sometime it will call filler yoke ] to fill in unused opening on the switch box cover.

simuair to this mud ring

if that is the item you are talking about ??

if not plese let me know i know there is other verison you are talking about

Merci,Marc

Old 03-31-08, 07:44 AM
That mud ring is EXACTLY what I need. Thanks to you both. Now to drive the 11 miles to the closest store.
Have a great day to you both!
-Bob

Old 03-31-08, 07:48 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
gald to help ya and just make sure you get the correct depth there are quite few diffrent depth sizewise

Merci, Marc

Old 03-31-08, 08:40 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for a sheet metal piece to mount on the existing mud ring that would convert the 2-gang to 1-gang.

French's picture is the best choice when you already have the wall torn up or the box edges are otherwise accessible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: