Moving Subpanel

Old 03-31-08, 08:12 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Moving Subpanel

In the process of a basement remodel and I'm planning on moving a subpanel into a newly constructed dividing wall. Some of the circuits will reach, but it looks like about 12 circuits may not reach. I'm planning on a large box, (6x6) to make the connections to some extensions to the new panel location. There will be (6) 14ga circuits and (6) 12ga circuits. My math tells me that's 24 current carrying conductors. It will end up being about a 4' extension.

Question 1) would you suggest using (3) 3/4" smurf tube so I don't have to worry about derating? (8 conductors in each) Or should I just use 1.25" PVC conduit and upgrade each to 10ga wire

Question 2) I realize I can use one ground wire (sized as the largest conductor). Can I use a ground bar kit like one would use in a panel mounted to the 6x6 box to simplify ground connections? Otherwise I think it would be a mess to wire nut all those grounds

Anything else that I'm forgetting or not planning for?

Thanks for any assistance!

-Mike

Old 04-01-08, 07:26 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Zorfdt
would you suggest using (3) 3/4" smurf tube so I don't have to worry about derating? (8 conductors in each) Or should I just use 1.25" PVC conduit and upgrade each to 10ga wire
I would use three or four smaller conduits. Not only does it avoid derating, but it makes it easier to identify wires.

I realize I can use one ground wire (sized as the largest conductor). Can I use a ground bar kit like one would use in a panel mounted to the 6x6 box to simplify ground connections?
Yes, you may. If you go with three conduits, each needs a ground wire sized for the largest hot in that conduit.

Anything else that I'm forgetting or not planning for?
Just make sure that the hot(s) and neutral for any given circuit travel through the same conduit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: