Pool Heat Pump not heating -- cold pool

Old 04-03-08, 07:12 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pool Heat Pump not heating -- cold pool

I have a Heat Siphon SX5HP heat pump in Iowa that worked well last summer. In late fall, before closing, the pump was not heating the water and the compressor was turning on and off fairly frequently and lights dimming in the house. Air temp at that time was 60 and pool temp in the low 60's. We have just opened our pool this spring and I tried the heat pump when the air temp was mid to upper 50's and similar results. The pool temperature, however, is 42. Any thoughts on if this is just due to cool water and ambient temperature and freezing? Or could this be a compressor issue? Electrical issue? At times, there is noticeable cool air coming out of the fan....so it does seem the compressor works/heats at certain times. Thanks for any information!

Old 04-03-08, 07:19 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by cycarstens
the compressor was turning on and off fairly frequently and lights dimming in the house.
Usually when the compressor trips on and off frequently it means that the system is low on refrigerant oil and should be checked by an HVAC technician.

Old 04-03-08, 07:44 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I will agree with Ibpooks with this one get ahold of HVAC tech personal and they can take care of freon system they have specal tools that can able to do this in safe manner.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-03-08, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

For sure dont let the pump on that way. Might check the start run capacitor first that you can do. If not then check the freon Any AC tech that is EPA can check the charge on it . That pool heater is the same as any heatpump is all

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: