plug for dishwasher

Old 04-04-08, 07:55 AM
Andy Beet
Visiting Guest
plug for dishwasher

I have recently had to cut the molded plug off the end of the dishwasher cable.

I now want to rewire the end to a plug.

The dishwasher is on its own 15 Amp circuit

Can i use any standard 3 pin (grounded) plug? Or is there a special rated plug for dishwashers?

Thanks

Old 04-04-08, 08:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The plug must be rated for at least the amperage of the dishwasher but it would be better to replace the whole cord set with a new one with a molded plug IMHO. Why did you have to cut the old plug off?

Old 04-04-08, 09:51 AM
Andy Beet
Visiting Guest
the receptacle now resides outside of the cabinetry. So i have drilled a small hole in the side of the cabinet to run the cable through. The hole has the diameter of the cable not the plug.

So in future if i want to pull out the dishwasher i can just take the plug head off.

I do not want to add another receptable.

Does that make sense?

Old 04-04-08, 11:21 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I do understand what you mean with this question but however it will be much eaiser to just enlarge the hole so you have molded applanice cord and plug attachment go thru the hole much eaiser.

here a trick if you are worry about the hole you can enlarge then you can buy a cork and just whittle around one spot then plug up the hole [ i done that few time to keep the noise down a bit ]

and many plummers will actally leave the hole slightly larger than it should be because have to bring in hot water pipe and drain pipe from dishwasher meanwhile we do run the cord from dishwasher to the repectale.

which it is pretty much SOP [ standard of producure ]
everywhere.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-04-08, 01:15 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
French,

is the D/W required to have its own circuit or can the garbage disposal be on the same circuit?

Old 04-04-08, 01:24 PM
F
Thonati.,,

if both dishwasher and Garbage dispoal unit if both are at 7.5 amp or less then yes both can be on same circuit but however with most place most electrician SOP is run 12-3 Romex cable up to the repectale box and split it and one will be hot all the time while other half will be switched for garbage dispoal unit due some are pretty powerfull it will take more than 10 amp easly espcally with top of line units will do that pretty easly and that is true with some dishwasher do have build in booster to heat up water even more.

but before you install one of the two just check the info nameplate to verify it.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-04-08, 02:09 PM
T
I will check this.

So basically this is a multi-wired circuit with separate breakers?

Old 04-04-08, 02:14 PM
F
Thonati.,,

Oui. C'est vari

[ yes . it is true ]

but however there is a one good gotcha with this set up you must use double pole breaker on this one due you have single yoke on the receptcale.

[ that the reason why the NEC and CEC is very specific on this one due you have two circuit on one receptale yoke so if you work on that one so the two pole breaker will disconnect the power simistouly [ same time ] when you get into that one but however if you have switched repectales with one circuit only that is diffrent story i will leave this to seprated thread so dont get more confuseing with this exsting thread ]

Merci,Marc

Old 04-04-08, 06:06 PM
T
French,

Thank you so very much for your wisdom. Your sense of humor makes this an intereting forum. You have a unique way to make a difficult topic seem easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: