Combo Switch Outlet

Old 04-04-08, 12:57 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Combo Switch Outlet

I have no outlet in my bathroom, so I bought a switch outlet combo. I can't seem to get this thing to work. The bathroom is on its own circuit to the breaker box. When I removed the switch, inside the box are two cables.

The first cable has a black, red, white and ground.

The second cable has a black, white and ground.

The white from both cables are connect with a wire nut. The black from both cables are connected with a pig tail coming off of it. The red wire is by itself.

I assumed that the white wire is the load to the light in the bathroom since they are not actually connected to the switch in any way..they were just tucked back in the box.

What I am confused about is how to get this all to work. The new combo outlet switch has 5 screws. According to the directions the 1 is ground (obviously) There is a Line screw, below that is a Line B screw. On the right side of the combo unit there is a white neuteral screw and below that a gold load screw.

I tried connecting the white wires from both cables with a pig tail to the load screw and the black wires with a pig tail to neutral screw and the red wire to the line screw but it didn't work.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Old 04-04-08, 01:06 PM
First -off....Put it back the way you found it and start from the beginning.

How do you want this configured?--

There are different ways to do this, depending on whether or not the switch will control the outlet, the light or both.
The red wire is by itself.
Is there an exhaust fan in the bathroom?

Old 04-04-08, 01:06 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Before we can start this situation you are doing.

Per NEC and CEC codes this part is very strict in the bathroom useage all the bathroom must have GFCI repectale protected.

now let start here from begaining

what kind of luminaire you are controlling now with the swtich [ a ceiling light fixure or celing light with exhaust fan ?]

is this bathroom circuit is tied to other bathroom circuit ?

once i know little more tibbits here then we will guide you the legal way to do this.

Merci, Marc

Old 04-04-08, 01:29 PM
V
Originally Posted by Unclediezel
First -off....Put it back the way you found it and start from the beginning.

How do you want this configured?--

There are different ways to do this, depending on whether or not the switch will control the outlet, the light or both.

Is there an exhaust fan in the bathroom?
Ok, first step complete. I have put it all back the way I found it!! I want the outlet to always work and switch to just control the light...and there is NOT an exhaust fan. Just to clarify in my first post I said the red wire was by itself, what I meant was there was not any other wire paired/twisted with it. It just goes to a screw on the single pole switch.

Old 04-04-08, 01:42 PM
F
Do you have basement or crawl space below or attic from above ??

if so you can able fish in new wire for the bathroom recpectale.

they have to be on 20 amp circuit with 12-2 NM romex with ground wire of course.

and you can use the old work box [ get at least 22 cubic inches or deeper one if the wall do have room for it ]

and drill 5/8 inch hole and snake the wire up or down from attic.

at the breaker box you will need a single pole breaker [ get one with same manufacter it have there ] 20 amp size

Merci,Marc

Old 04-04-08, 01:45 PM
Ok ,

as Marc has mentioned, Certain code issues Creep up here. The lack of GFCI protection is one, and the combination of Lighting circuits and receptacle circuits is another. Before installing this, Based on your description, there must be "Something Else " on the bathroom circuit. This Other "Thing" may be affected by your install. I suggest you find it, and give us the "Whole Picture" Before you get all jammed up with a setup that wont help you.

Old 04-04-08, 01:51 PM
V
Originally Posted by Unclediezel
Ok ,

as Marc has mentioned, Certain code issues Creep up here. The lack of GFCI protection is one, and the combination of Lighting circuits and receptacle circuits is another. Before installing this, Based on your description, there must be "Something Else " on the bathroom circuit. This Other "Thing" may be affected by your install. I suggest you find it, and give us the "Whole Picture" Before you get all jammed up with a setup that wont help you.
This is in my 2nd floor bathroom. The only other thing on this circuit is a ceiling light in the bathroom directly below it on the first floor.

Old 04-04-08, 02:06 PM
F
ok hold off all my other previous suggest for a min please.,,

backtrack to the downstair bathroom luminaire location take a look how they did hook up that one i have a huntch [ sp] they ran in 12-3 all the way from breaker box to the first floor bathroom where the light swtich located and they split off one wire for repectale while the other wire for upstair bathroom.

if so let us know that way if so it is legal this way but need to verified first before we can go on more with this set up.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: