Converting Two Prong Outlet To New Three Prong Outlet

Old 04-04-08, 07:50 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting Two Prong Outlet To New Three Prong Outlet

I Always Thought That With Armored Cable The Cable Itself Was The Ground. You Can Still Buy 14/2 Armored Cable With Just The Black And White Wire. If You Use Self Grounding Replacement Outlet Wouldn't The Cable And Metal From Recepticle Along With The Armored Cable Be Your Ground?i Used To Attach A Piece Of Bare Wire From Green Screw To Box But Electrician Told Me This Was Not Neccessary The All Boxes Are Grounded By Armored Cable Itself Running Back To Breaker Box. Any Advice? Ty

Old 04-04-08, 10:13 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
however yes the AC [ amour claded ] cable is grounded but you have to be carefull with it as the electrician mention to you about it and yes it can be self grounding if done it properly with metal box with proper attachment clamp but over the years the grounding bond can get weaken over the time and can loosen up or get corroded over the time and weaken down to the point it don't grounded at all.

over the time some of the DIY do change the box but don't take a extra time to use the approved type of cable clamp this will really compounded if you have plastic box then you have new issue will crop up.

some case the ground bond was so bad it actally failed i did see sometime that happend espcally that true with much older homes with this set up.

but really to do the safe way is either use the self grounding receptale or use the jumper wire [ sometime called bonding wire or grounding wire depending on the area it called ]

when you change them be carefull with the wires if you see brittle insluation or some arc mark or signs of overheated spots on AC stop right there it will be much wiser to replace it.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-05-08, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Not all amored cable was listed as acceptable for use as the grounding conductor. This would depend on the vintage of the cable and whether a thin bond strip is contained under the armor.

Old 04-05-08, 07:55 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank You Another Question ?

i SEEMED TO HAVE FIGURED OUT GROUND ISSUE. tHE CABLE WAS USED AS THE GROUND. my other question is . I HAVE BEEN CHANGING OLD TWO PRONG OUTLETS TO THREE PRONG GROUNED ONES. IVE BEEN PUTTING WHITE TO NUETRAL SIDE AND BLACK TO HOT SIDE. GONNA RUN A GREEN WIRE FROM GROUND SCREW TO BACK OF BOX JUST TO MAKE SURE I HAVE GOOD GROUND CONNECTION . ANYWAY SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT IN THIS HOUSE THEY FOUND THAT SOME OF THE OUTLETS WERE REVERSED WITH WHITE AND BLACK MIXED UP. I PULLED PANEL COVER AT BOX AND ALL BLACKS WENT TO CUIRCUT BREAKERS AND ALL WHITES WNT TO NUETRAL BAR . QUESTION IS IF I CAHNGE OUTLET AND PUT BALCK AND WHITE WHERE THEY BELONG AND THERE IS A REVERSED ONE FURTHER DOWN THE LINE WHAT WILL HAPPEN? IS IT SERIOUS PROBLEM? OR CAN IT JUST WAIT UNTIL I GET TO NEXT ROOM AND DO EVERY OUTLET THE CORRECT WAY. I PLAN TO EVENTUALLY SWITCH OUT EVERY OUTLET BUT NOT ALL IN SAME DAY. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED THANK YOU

Old 04-06-08, 02:25 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
First thing first i will give you a polite reminder please do not use the captails [ UPPER ] letters in here it sound like you are shouting in here. [ sorry about that but just give you a head up]

now next step here if the black wire is landed on the breaker then it is correct set up but however you will have to check the rest of the receptcales to make sure they are wired in correct way. some will be in correct spot but if backward you will have to correct it.

as you work along the way you should map it out on the breaker box to see where it goes [ it will be gooo way when you check all the receptales including the circuit what it affected with GFCI and make a note in breaker box where the GFCI repectale located so you can find it later on the time ]

once you get the new receptecale installed buy a simple receptale tester for few bucks and check them at the same time to veify it for proper operation.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: