Running A/C Onto Elevated Deck

Old 04-06-08, 09:16 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running A/C Onto Elevated Deck

I had an attached 16'x20' deck installed last fall. It's about 10' off the ground and has a set of French doors that lead from the house. Here's my problem. I only have one exterior A/C outlet on the deck right now. I'd like to install additional outlets on the deck, perhaps on the posts. Is this possible? I am not interested in additional outlets into the exterior of the house, but on a couple of the deck posts so I can plug lights, etc into them.

Is it as simple as running A/C from the house under the deck and placing GFCI outlets onto the posts?

Thanks!

Old 04-06-08, 09:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Depending on the existing load on the circuit and what you intend to use on the receptacles you could extend the circuit by running under the deck. If the proposed load is too much you could run a new circuit.

Your existing receptacle should be GFI protected. If not install it.

You would need to use a cable like UF, if approved in your area, or wet rated individual wires, like THWN, in conduit.

Exterior receptacles will require weatherproof in use covers, commonly called bubble or clamshells. The spring loaded flip covers are no longer acceptable.

I would suggest reading a wiring booklet like "Wiring simplified" so you have an idea of how to proceed.

Old 04-06-08, 11:43 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've seen a couple of installations where the electrician installed weatherproof while-in-use covers as required and after inspection the homeowner took them off and put the spring covers on for aesthetic reasons.

I am in no way connected to this company but they (and probably some competitors now) offer a better solution, although they are tougher to do on a retrofit and I don't know how you would put one on a post. I've got one myself.

http://www.taymac.com/taymac/recessed-exterior.html

Old 04-06-08, 03:03 PM
M
Originally Posted by pcboss
Depending on the existing load on the circuit and what you intend to use on the receptacles you could extend the circuit by running under the deck. If the proposed load is too much you could run a new circuit.

Your existing receptacle should be GFI protected. If not install it.

You would need to use a cable like UF, if approved in your area, or wet rated individual wires, like THWN, in conduit.

Exterior receptacles will require weatherproof in use covers, commonly called bubble or clamshells. The spring loaded flip covers are no longer acceptable.

I would suggest reading a wiring booklet like "Wiring simplified" so you have an idea of how to proceed.
I've actually run electricity out to my shed and installed lights and outlets. I've also wired my basement.

Ideally I would like to install the outlets into the floor of the deck right in front of the deck posts so that the boxes attach to the posts just beneath the decking. This way the wiring would be hidden when looking at the deck from my yard. Plus, they would be so close to the posts that it would be unlikely that they would be stepped on. Is this not a practical idea? No way to use "bubble" outlet covers in this case.

Old 04-06-08, 03:38 PM
K
You mean facing up through the decking, Mccabedoug? NO!!!

For one, the receptacles must be protected from water, e.g. rain and seepage. Water works with gravity, so we must also.

For two, the boxes themselves must be protected from mechanical damage; setting them at foot level is just asking for it.

I think the cute solution here is to use an inset box like Arg!MeMatey linked. Bore out a stubby bit of post to house them, attach that to your existing posts.

Old 04-06-08, 09:37 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't know if there is any product rated for weather-resistant floor mounting.

Here's a cast floor box, which is rated for scrubwater only:

http://www.tnb.com/shared/docs/sf_1_g_665ciseries.pdf

It seems to me somebody could design something similar for a deck mount, for example with drain holes in the bottom plate.

Also maybe a pro knows if this would be acceptable or not: You could create an access panel of decking material and simply mount a code-compliant, vertically oriented weatherproof receptacle on the support post underneath the deck, couldn't you?

Old 04-06-08, 10:14 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I don't know if this product will work to your taste but here it is

that one option you can go with that.

now speaking of deck I know the OP asked if he want the box to be face up [ correct me and other if we are wrong on this one ] if so the answer is no it is not veryfestable to do this for safety reason and you can add a bell box [ basically a WP box for outdoor useage ]

and attached to next to the post and you can painted or stained to very close to the post or decking colour so it will look more invisble that way.

however one thing about a bubble cover per our [ electrician] regulation we must install the bubble cover on all outdoor repectale useage it is very specifed in the NEC and CEC as well.

and with the " flappers " they are fine as long you don't plug anything during wet weather duration but with the flappers during wet season like rain storm or snow in winter time they will find a way get inside of the repectale and really ruin your day with it.

i did see alot of them get the interal gut [ wire , concat etc ,..] all mess up with incorrect useage with the flappers.

and few case i did find them full of water and if in winter time if still have water in there it will become ice and really rip the cover off from expaning inside of the box.

let us know what your option to do next.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: