Home Wiring Problems!?!?! (2 Rooms)

Old 04-06-08, 02:02 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Home Wiring Problems!?!?! (2 Rooms)

Hi everyone...i have general knowledge of home wiring but this one has stumped me!!!

I am wiring up a new track lighting and switch into previous boxes...the light had a standard pull chain light and the switch box had nothing previously except for the wries running through it.

I dismanteled the old light fixture and installed the track lighting in the same manner as the pull-chain fixture, same wires to same wires, etc. and I got the light to work but lost all power in the adjoining room. I proceeded to install the switch to see if maybe it would power the other room but it then seemed to control the wall sockets in the room the switch is located but not the light.

Right now I have no switch in and the track lighting stays on permanently but no power to the adjoining room.

Could anyone help!!!!

Old 04-06-08, 04:00 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You didn't put it back the same as it was or it would work. Check your light box connections. The lights are going to stay on until you install a switch.
You might need to pull new cables to install a switch. Tell us all the wires and cables in the switch box.

Old 04-06-08, 04:22 PM
X
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In the Switch Box I have a White and a Black coming from the fuse box(through 2 wall receptacles) and meeting with another back and white in the box..but there is also another black wire that seems to be heading out the top of the box...it is also capped.

Old 04-06-08, 04:23 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I will agree with Joed with this one and let me add Joed's comment you should mapped the whole house to see what circuit it will carry to the area it serve.

the reason why i say that because that way you know what it will affect the circuit instead try to find out in hard way.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-06-08, 04:25 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Instead of editing my last comment but let me add this one how old this house and i am thinking if you have 2 wire are capped off nothing hook up there is possiblty there were a switch box somewhere in that room [ useally found near the doorway area ]

check that out and let us know

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: