Remodel help

Old 04-09-08, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remodel help

Helping my brother remodel his 2nd floor. House was built in 1930 electrical updated in the 60's. Just wondering if this setup would be ok in 3 bedrooms.

16 bedroom receptacles using 12 guage wire dedicated 20 amp breaker.

16 Recessed lights all 75watt max. and 2 - 2' fluorescent lights
not sure of wattage... all using 14 guage on dedicated 15 amp breaker.

is it ok to tie in a GCFI outlet from downstairs bathroom to the upstairs bath? there are 2 GCFI 20a. outlets in downstairs bath, on a 20amp breaker, and we are looking to put 1 20a. receptacle in upstairs bath.

any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-08, 09:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
The bathroom receptacle circuit can be shared in more than one bathroom if the circuit ONLY serves receptacles. If the circuit has lighting or fans it cannot be extended to the 2nd floor bath. IMO I would just run a new 20 amp circuit for the 2nd floor bath receptacle.

If I were wiring the bedrooms I think I would break the receptacles down into at least 2 circuits. You did not say how many square foot of bedrooms you are wiring.

Remember that all outlets including the smoke detectors need to be AFCI protected unless local rules override national codes.

Old 04-09-08, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by drose12334 View Post
Helping my brother remodel his 2nd floor. House was built in 1930 electrical updated in the 60's. Just wondering if this setup would be ok in 3 bedrooms.

16 bedroom receptacles using 12 guage wire dedicated 20 amp breaker.
i think it will be wiser to split in two circuit for bedroom receptales ya never know what ya going to run in the bedroom.

most new bedroom circuit will reqired a AFCI there [ unless your local code say something diffrent ]

16 Recessed lights all 75watt max. and 2 - 2' fluorescent lights
not sure of wattage... all using 14 guage on dedicated 15 amp breaker.
that will work fine but however with 2 footer flourscent they are useally from 15 to 20 watts depending on type of bulb and ballast it is.

is it ok to tie in a GCFI outlet from downstairs bathroom to the upstairs bath? there are 2 GCFI 20a. outlets in downstairs bath, on a 20amp breaker, and we are looking to put 1 20a. receptacle in upstairs bath.

any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
if you going to tie both upstair and downstair bathroom only recpectales can be used no light or fan can be tied together or other option is just run new seprated circuit for upstair bathroom [ make sure it is GFCI protected ] that way you can have the repectale , light and fan hook up with common GFCI circuit but here a good way to do this run the power to the switch first then split off to the GFCI so this way if the GFCI trip the light stay on.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-10-08, 05:48 PM
2 bedrooms are 100sq. ft. and one is 230sq. ft. its a small house... the 2 outlets in downstairs bath are on dedicated 20amp breaker seperate from fan and light...the electrician that had done work there in the past ran a 14/4 upstairs for future use...is it ok to use this as if it were 2 14/2 runs? Also, the box is full and its rather small...is there a limit to the number of double single pole breakers that can be added to a box...there are 2 already and I wanted to add two more...

Thanks to you guys for your help...

Old 04-10-08, 06:00 PM
it is possible to add duplex breaker but the safest thing is get the model number off from the breaker box to be on safe side [ i know some will listed and some will not take duplex breakers ]

i just want to make sure that you say 14-4 wire ?? if you see it say 14-2-2 WG [ with ground ] if so yes you can used that for two circuit white and black for circuit one and red and white with red stripe is for second circuit. [ it have to be with 15 amp breaker only ]

Old 04-22-08, 08:13 PM
It just says 14/4...whats the difference between 14-4 and 14-2-2...ground? Another question i have is, we needed more room for the neutral/ground bar in the panel, some have been doubled up in the past. to add a ground bar extender, does it just screw into the box? or does it need to tie into the neutral/ground bar thats there now?

Old 04-23-08, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by drose12334 View Post
It just says 14/4...whats the difference between 14-4 and 14-2-2...ground?
They could be the same cable, just a different manufacturer, but it's important to look at the colors in the cable. To use it for two separate circuits, the cable needs to have two white or gray conductors for neutrals such as black/white/red/white-striped/ground.

Sometimes in the commercial three-phase system you might see black/red/blue/white/ground which cannot be used in the way you want.

Another question i have is, we needed more room for the neutral/ground bar in the panel, some have been doubled up in the past. to add a ground bar extender, does it just screw into the box? or does it need to tie into the neutral/ground bar thats there now?
It can just screw into the box, but I like to bond them with a heavy bare copper wire. You are allowed to double up ground wires of the same gauge under one screw. Neutrals must be one-per-screw.

Old 04-23-08, 10:16 AM
Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.