Service Disconnect

Old 04-10-08, 07:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Service Disconnect

Hello
I need to attach my 100 Amp subpanel feeder wire to my main 200Amp panel. I have completed the rough of a fairly extensive attached addition to my house. The rough inspection when very well and now its time to power up.

I only have a meter on the house / no service disconnect. What is involved in pulling the meter? Is this something that I should involve the electric company with or something I could do on my own?

Thanks

Old 04-10-08, 09:17 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Definitely involve the power company, if for no other reason than they could charge you with theft of service. Once you break their seal, there is that possibility. Second, actually of greater importance is that you will be in close proximity to live lines, a far cry from wiring a currently inert system.

Old 04-11-08, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Do not even think about pulling the meter.

Are you feeding the 100 amp panel from the 200 amp panel?

I find it hard to believe that there is not a main breaker in the 200 amp panel.

Old 04-11-08, 08:17 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I'd assume you're wiring the 100A subpanel into your 200A main panel. If you turn off the 200A main breaker, it shuts off the power to the buss bars, but the main incoming leads are still quite live. But, if you're careful, you can still wire your 100 breaker with just the main breaker off. If you would feel better doing it with all power off, by all means, call the POCO.

You are wiring your 100A subpanel to a 100A breaker in your main panel, not via feed-through lugs or anything like that, right?

Old 04-11-08, 08:29 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by JZazz
What is involved in pulling the meter? Is this something that I should involve the electric company with or something I could do on my own?
Gotta call the power company; most will come out and do it for free. Pulling the meter is way too dangerous -- seems very simple to do, but lots can go wrong.

Old 04-11-08, 01:36 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the posts -
pcboss- Regarding "I find it hard to believe that there is not a main breaker in the 200 amp panel."

What I was referring to was the lack of a service disconnect outside the panel. I do of course have a main 200 amp breaker.

Old 04-11-08, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
There is no need for a disconnect outside if the service cable where it enters the house is " as sort as practical".

Some jurisdictions impose a limit on this like 5' or less, others leave it to the inspector. Now if you had your meter on one side and your panel on the other and the cable ran through the house you would need a disconnect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: