Outdoor GFI Circuit Not Working

Old 04-16-08, 12:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor GFI Circuit Not Working

We have a GFI plug on the outside of the house near the deck. This plug is frequently used for deck lights, BBQ rotisserie etc.
There are two other outdoor plugs that are not GFI but on the same circuit. Sometime over the winter these outlets stopped working. I have flipped the breaker to no avail. What should I do next? Replace the GFI? Should the other two outlets also be switched to GFI? Any other suggestions to trouble shoot the circuit would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-08, 12:30 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Are you sure these other receptacles aren't on a different GFCI that has been tripped? Perhaps one in the garage or basement behind the storage? These can be tricky to find sometimes.

Old 04-16-08, 12:39 PM
S
A GFCI covers that particular outlet, and every downstream outlet. So if the GFCI is toast, then all the other outlets are going to go kaput if the GFCI is wired correctly. (It is supposed to be first outlet in the circuit.)

Is the GFCI tripped? If so, can it be reset?

SirWired

Old 04-17-08, 08:28 AM
S
have reset GFCI, and traced out the cicuit

Have reset the GFI switch and looks ok, when press test, reset button pops out. I am 100% certain the other outside outlets are on the same circuit. I will purchase new GFI. Is there a different kind of GFI for outdoors?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: