Above Ground Pool Wiring for Dummies

Old 04-15-08, 08:31 AM
Above Ground Pool Wiring for Dummies

I'm having an above ground pool installed and I need to run the electric out for the pump. I need to run approximately 50 ft (20 ft in the garage and 30 ft outside of the garage). What do I need to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-08, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Is the pump 120v and draw 18 amps or less? Are you running it from a breaker (or fuse) panel in the garage. If so is there space in the panel for new circuits? What does the pool pump manufacturer recomend?

Old 04-15-08, 08:41 AM
Yes to the first question. I am running from the fuse box in the garage and there are spaces available. As for what the vendor recommends, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Old 04-15-08, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 6
Not to discourage you but pools have complex and very specific Codes concerning their wiring. You may want to hire a professional that has pool experience. You are mixing water and electricity. Mistakes could lead to a less than desireable outcome.

Old 04-15-08, 09:38 AM
The pool pump manufacturer recommends a wire size #14.

Old 04-15-08, 08:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 34
If the pool pump comes from the factory with a standard three-prong cord and plug, then all you need to do is run a 20A GFCI protected circuit out to the pump location. The receptacle must have an in-use bubble cover and be no closer than 5' from the edge of the pool. You may use 12/2 UF-B underground cable buried 24" deep.

If the pool pump requires any site wiring, then you have a more complicated task as the wiring method must use individual conductors and conduit as well as some bonding requirements.