Covering junction box with mirror

Old 04-15-08, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covering junction box with mirror

I'm planning to move a bathroom outlet from the wall directly in front of the bathroom vanity over to the side wall where it won't interfere with a bigger mirror that will be installed. At the existing location, I plan to just remove the receptacle, splice the two cables together, install a blank cover over the existing box and hang the mirror so it covers up the box & cover plate. Does that constitute a violation of the NEC accessibility requirement for electrical splices? At first I thought probably it does, but then again, people surely hang pictures and mirrors over these covers all the time in the rest of the house, and an electrician looking for a break in the circuit would think to look behind pictures and mirrors during circuit troubleshooting. Am I right? Would it matter how the mirror was hung (ie. like a picture, or with mirror clips)

All is not lost if that idea is a "no-go". I can just flip the box and cover 180 degrees so that it is now inside the bedroom closet on the other side of the wall, but that's additional time and money.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-08, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You absolutely may....Provided the mirror "HANGS" and isnt "Bolted" to the wall.

NEC defines accesible as.....Serviceable without removing FINISHING materials.

As long as the mirror can be "Unhung for service, it would qualify as accessible.