Outdoor receptacles

Old 04-16-08, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outdoor receptacles

I want to add 3 circuits of outdoor receptacles on a new deck that I have built that is 300 feet away from a 100amp subpanel.
Here is what Im thinking:
Add a 60 amp GFCI breaker at the 100amp subpanel, use UF 8-3 direct burial cable (300' distance), wire to a 60 amp outdoor Main Lug Only load center and then feed each receptacle from the MLO.

Questions:
1) by using the GFCI breaker at the source; this will protect all 3 circuits for ground fault? or do I need to install a GFCI receptacle into each circuit?
2) is the 8-3 cable adequate? or do I need a larger wire size?
3) does the project sound doable the way stated above?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-08, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by akarka View Post
by using the GFCI breaker at the source; this will protect all 3 circuits for ground fault? or do I need to install a GFCI receptacle into each circuit?
It does protect all three circuits, however it also increases the chances of nuisance tripping; for this reason I would recommend against a single GFCI breaker. Three GFCI receptacles will be cheaper than one 60A DP GFCI breaker anyway.

is the 8-3 cable adequate? or do I need a larger wire size?
What do you intend to use the circuits for? Why three and not two or four? If you need a full 20A on each of them, then the #8 copper is not adequate in my opinion because of a 7.5% voltage drop. Code suggests that calculated voltage drop not exceed 3%, but it depends on the load. Lighting for example is very tolerant of voltage drop, but motors are not.

Furthermore, if you only need three 20A circuits, a 60A panel provides twice as much power as you need.

does the project sound doable the way stated above?
So long as you have six or fewer circuits at the deck, the MLO panel is okay. If you have more than six, the panel needs a main breaker.

What is the nature of the 300' distance? Is it in a different building? Will the wiring be underground, indoors, etc?

Old 04-16-08, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the relpy...
we will be having live bands play on the deck and most of the band leaders have told me that their equipement will need 3 different circuits. I could run 4 just to have as a spare. They need 1 circuit for amps, 1 circuit for mic and mixing equipment and 1 circuit for their stage lights. So, you would suggest using a single GFCI receptacle for each circuit instead of putting it at the source? That makes sense.

The 300' will be all underground...which I was planning on a burial depth of 18"-24". Does that sound right for direct burial cable?

Thanks

Old 04-16-08, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Based on that information, I recommend that you use #2-2-2-4 aluminum USE-2 cable. This direct burial cable is widely available and will be quite a bit cheaper than copper. I recommend a 50A breaker protecting this subpanel. This limits you to just under 3% voltage drop given the distance with up to (4) 20A circuits in use. Burial depth should be 24" for this cable with conduit risers protecting the cable entering and exiting the trench.

As you know, you will need to install GFCI protection on all of the receptacles. You'll also need to sink a ground rod at the subpanel and bond it to the ground bus in the subpanel using bare #6 copper wire from an acorn clamp on the rod. The subpanel must have isolated ground and neutral buses which usually requires removal of the panel bonding screw and installation of an add-on ground bar kit. Of course, the panel box and all receptacle boxes should be rated for outdoor exposure with in-use covers.

Do you plan to install any lighting in this area?

Old 04-16-08, 07:20 PM
You should check the stage lighitng load some can really load up the system pretty nice.

however i am little condersing about the location

is the subpanel will be enclosed from weather ?

is this place is privte property or commercal location??

the reason why i asked about that because there are some code related rules there and it can change a bit if not planned properly.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-17-08, 06:26 AM
Smile

Thank you all so much for your responses...

I had planned on using an outdoor rated MLO and mount to a post near the deck location. Do you think I need to weather proof further? Maybe build a small closet around it?

It is private property...we have different bands come in and showcase their talents and many times we have recording agents present to witness. Historically, we have had a flat trailer for them to play on using extension cords running from the nearest power (300" away)...this has caused some problems in the past, so now we are building a deck and running clean power to the location.

We have ambient light coming from the workshop (300' away) which really lights the area. On the deck...all the lighting will be low volatge, ie. rope lighting around the deck rails and any other lights will be plugged in to the recpetacles.

Again, thanks for the reply...I did not know about the ground rod needed, so thank you!