Breaker or Exhaust Fan...

Old 04-16-08, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker or Exhaust Fan...

Our kitchen exhaust fan (Thermador ~10years old) quit working a few weeks ago. I had the fan & heat lights operating when the lights flickered and the whole thing went dead. I've looked at all the wire connections, nothing is loose. The circuit breaker didn't look like it tripped, i know they don't flip all the way off when tripped but really it hadn't moved at all.

I reset the breaker & tried the lights only on the exhaust fan, fine, then turned on the fan it ran for a bit, I varied the speed and the whole unit cut out again. This time the power was not out on the whole circuit. I tried some lights, not on the hood, but on the same circuit and they came on very slowly, and flickering, then cut out. This leads me to believe that the circuit breaker is no longer functioning properly, rather than the exhaust fan drawing too many amps. Does this sound right?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-08, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If it only did it when you turned up the speed, then the speed switch may be your culprit.

Old 04-16-08, 07:26 PM
sound like you got a bad connection somehwhere along the circuit but did you try to swap the breaker or run the tester to verify if you are getting power at the circuit breaker you are working on ??

if so try swap one beaker over to see if that clear up but if not then you got issue along the circuit somewhere you got bad connection.

[ becarefull if you have MWBC this will get more tricky there if you have black red and white on that circuit unless one of the switch is a 3 way's]

Merci,Marc

Old 04-17-08, 09:17 AM
What is an MWBC? I am fairly certian the circuit wires thorough a pair of lights controlled by one dimmer switch and terminates at the range hood.

I'll try swapping the breaker & retesting.

I tried the fan last night by only turning it to one speed and it cut out a few seconds later...how could I test to see if its the speed switch?

Thanks fo rthe input, sure would like to have this thing running again.

Old 04-17-08, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
MWBC is a multi-wire branch circuit. This is 2 hot conductors fed from opposite legs of the panel but share the same neutral wire.

Thses are commonly fed with a 3 conductor cable + ground, like black, red, white and bare.