how to wire all-in-one SP wall switch and outlet

Old 04-17-08, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to wire all-in-one SP wall switch and outlet

I have a GE wall switch & outlet. I would like to have the switch control that outlet and nothing else. But I am confused by the diagram.

I have three wires coming in: hot, neutral, and ground.

One side of the switch/outlet has two screws: silver and bronze. There is no visible connection between the two. The diagram calls these Neutral (silver) and Load (bronze).

The other side has two bronze screws which are connected by a break-away tab. One is labeled Line, and the other is Line B if the tab is removed.

Finally, there is a green screw for the ground.

Is "Line" hot? Is "Load" the wire that would run to another outlet/light/whatever? Do I break the tab?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-08, 05:29 PM
Received 136 Votes on 122 Posts
This pic shows a half switched recptacle. If you want a both switched recpetacle then don't connect the power black to the receptacle blow the blue arrow and don't cut the tab.

Old 04-17-08, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Joed: I think the OP has a self contained switch/receptacle in the same unit, probably one of those over/under things. Rather than me "wording" him, could you "picture" him, since you have that cool program?

Old 04-17-08, 06:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
From:http://www.lightingfacts.com/Recepta.../%20Receptacle Diagram #33
The black (hot) wire from the power connects to the separate dark screw. The white (neutral) wire from the power connects to the light colored screw. The two dark screws that are (left) tabbed together are left (unused)
By dark screws they mean the brass screws.

Old 04-17-08, 07:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Koffee, It is easy to see the wiring if you visulize it as two different devices. On one end there is the receptacle with a brass screw on one side and a silver screw on the other. On the other end is a switch just like any switch with two brass screws. If you broke the tab in fact you could use each for seperate purposes even circuits.

In this case for your application the switch is already tied to the brass screw on the receptacle. All you have to do is hook the black to the other side of the switch and white to the neutral on the outlet.

Old 04-18-08, 06:21 AM
Received 136 Votes on 122 Posts
Connect the black to the single brass screw.
Connect the white to the silver screw.]
Connect the bare to the green screw.
Connect nothing to the double screw.

And I don't have a cool program for drawing. I just have links to drawings at other sites. I wish I had a cool drawing program. Right now all I use is paint which is very slow and painful.

Old 04-20-08, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I have AutoCad, but am too lazy to use it to its fullest potential. Paint is a "pain" to use, I agree.

Old 04-22-08, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power to wall receptacle and to wall plug.

From your drawing it looks like the power (black wire) goes straight to the wall switch. then the white wire from the wall switch goes to the silver screw on the receptacle. Then the white wire comming with the power line is connected to the
silver screrw on the other side of the receptacle. then are both the ground wires connected one on each side? Am I correct in lthis?