Water Heater replacement

Old 04-19-08, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Heater replacement

Switching from a 50 gallon electric WH to a gas model with a power vent.

The power vent model obviously needs electric to run the vent and comes with a 6 foot cord to plug into an outlet.

Can I use the existing 10 ga. wire for the old electric tank and just change out the breaker to the required 15 amp?

Not totally impossible to rerun new wire but something that would take a lot of time and I'd just as soon not do it if possible.

The power vent calls for a dedicated 110-120V outlet and the circuit for the current water heater is already a dedicated circuit.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 07:20 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes you can use the #10 with a smaller breaker. You could actually use a 20a breaker. Main problem is connecting the larger wire. It should fit a 20a breaker but wrapping it around a receptacle screw is tricky. You could pigtail to #12 at the receptacle. You could also try a more expensive receptacle with side clamps for the wire. Experrts will have to weigh in on if you can avoid having to use a GFCI if use a simplex outlet. Would probably depend on AHJ code cycle (assuming basement location).

Some will say leave the connection for future use should a buyer of your house want to use an electric water heater but given the increased cost of operating an electric water heater most places I doubt that is a real concern.

Old 04-19-08, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks RAY2047---Just have to wait for mid week till the replacement water heater comes in as it is a special order because it has a power vent.

In the meantime, I'll be working on running gas line to the location but now I know the electrical will be easy.