piggyback breaker

Old 04-19-08, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
piggyback breaker

Hello, Is it ok to use one of those piggyback breakers to add a extra circuit to a full panel? Any code issues here?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 09:35 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
They are legal in some panels and not others. Post the info on your panel label and someone here will be able to help.

Old 04-19-08, 01:01 PM
it depending on the breaker box manufacter model number.

run us the breaker model number it useally found in the breaker box door otherwise it will be in the " tub " there is other sticker you will see that also [ just becarefull when you take the breaker box cover off ]

once you get the numbers here then we can able tell what is approved or not

Merci,Marc

Old 04-19-08, 04:23 PM
It is a Cutler Hammer panel model #CH20CM100 and it says to use models CH, CH2100 or CH2100H breakers.
Thanks

Old 04-20-08, 02:26 AM
ok hate to be bad news to you the model number ya ran by me they only take full sized breker no twinner allowed on that box.

i will break down the model number to you

"CH20CM100"

CH- 3/4 inch breaker

20 - 20 space full sized breakers

CM = Convetable Main [ it set up to use either main breaker or main lug ]

100 = max main breaker or lug amp capaicty

Now let me run a EXAMPLE number only but this number is good one [ this one i used from time to time ]

" CH3040L200 "

CH= 3/4 inch breakers

30/40 = 30 full sized breaker or 20 full sized breaker with 10 tandeam [ twinner breakers]

L = Main Lugs [ no main breakers in this one ]

200 = 200 amp busbar or main lug rating

this one of few example i used with this number that i can depecher it. [ other breaker manufacters run very simuair route as well but best check with the manufacter of that breaker box to verify the numbers sometime it will change over the time ]

Merci,Marc

Old 04-20-08, 06:40 AM
They do sell the twin breakers that fit my panel as there is one in there already. They have them at the box stores. Why do they not recommend using them?
Thanks

Old 04-20-08, 10:10 AM
They do sell the twin breakers that fit my panel as there is one in there already.

Ahh...the argument for the ages......"If I'm not allowed to use it , Then why does it fit ......?????

Technically, it shouldnt be there..... It isnt uncommon to see this, From either someone who doesnt know better, or someone who does, and needed a reason to cheat a bit.....

Although it shouldnt be there, I wouldnt lose a whole lot of sleep over it.

Old 04-20-08, 06:19 PM
This is just another example of what's right according to the listings/code and what 'works' deviating.

No, the tandems shouldn't be used in that box at all... but if they fit, well, it's not the most serious problem ever. It doesn't fit in to the UL listing of the box, so it's not been tested and certainly isn't "guaranteed to work and be safe" - and this is against code.

However, like Unclediezel said, I wouldn't lose a ton of sleep over it.

At least you don't seem to be one of those people who comes in with a Bad Idea in mind and wants to throw caution to the wind!

Old 04-20-08, 06:31 PM
At least you don't seem to be one of those people who comes in with a Bad Idea in mind and wants to throw caution to the wind!
" Can I backfeed My 47kw Generator thru a tandem breaker and a lamp cord"?

I'll bet it is the only one in the box that has never tripped....

Old 04-21-08, 04:05 PM
How do you how many amps you can pull from a 100 amp panel? In my case I have 355 amps worth of breakers in the panel. Obviously if everythings on at once you have a major problem but what is the rule for panel size vs amps you are pulling out? It's been like that for at least 15yrs without any problems.

Old 04-21-08, 04:49 PM
In my case I have 355 amps worth of breakers in the panel.
Common misconception......The sum of the breakers in the panel mean NOTHING.......

Google "Load Calculations"..There are procedures , and some math to figure this out. It will be necessary to Gather up some info from appliance labels, But isnt really as Tuff as it seems.....

Old 04-22-08, 12:27 AM
the sum of breaker dont mean anything to me in the resdential area it more like load deversty so the safest way to check the load is do the " load demand " [ goggle that ] and it will add up the figures and to see if your exsting service is big engouh to handle and have room for expandison.

with that many breaker not everything will be on at the same time.

very instering part with most of resdentail the real load is about 3,000 - 7,500 watts average depending on what is going on i know it may sound overkill but how often you will see the main breaker trip ?? very rare you will see the main breaker trip some case never because the load is not high engouh to trip it.

i work on one house not too long ago it have 9K sq feet and it have big honkey tonk service [ 800 amp service ] and ran everything as normal load is and we did not even touch the main breaker setting at all it was about 360 amp the most we ever get that point.

and with the NEC code they design it pretty good for most useage.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-24-09, 02:16 PM
Thumbs up

I also have a breaker panel that is short on spaces.
It is a Square D QO 20 M 100 which is a 100 amp panel
It has been in the house for about 20 years.
About 5 years ago I added on a room & put in a couple of twin breakers. Didn't know much about twin breakers other than they fit fine. So far no problems
Should I be concerned

Old 12-24-09, 03:56 PM
This doesn't pertain to houses but on the same subject as french is talking about... Most services are way overrated. We have a pretty large regional airport out here that we do alot of work for. It has a 4000 main Amp breaker in the switchgear and on any day at any given time I have never seen any leg climb up past 850 Amps.

Anyway, many breakers brands will fit in panels of different brands, sometimes it is just a company cosolidation of a brand or there are times breakers won't "quite" fit and a little forcing will make them fit. Problem is if it hasn't been UL approved to fit in that panel than your asking for trouble. You may never ever have a problem but if your house lights up on fire and the insurance company sends someone smart out to do an inspection after electrical is to blame, even if it had nothing to so with that circuit they might not cover you.

Spend a little extra money and add a sub-panel or upgrade your existing panel. Also, may save you some money and headache, if your trying to add a circuit for something small you may be able to just use an existing circuit for that if it doesn't have much of a load and what your adding won't make it overload the breaker when both loads are being used at the same time.

Old 12-25-09, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by keehnb View Post
I also have a breaker panel that is short on spaces.
It is a Square D QO 20 M 100 which is a 100 amp panel
It has been in the house for about 20 years.
About 5 years ago I added on a room & put in a couple of twin breakers. Didn't know much about twin breakers other than they fit fine. So far no problems
Should I be concerned
Load-wise it seems like you are fine. The issue is of a more technical nature in the the manufacturer does not say that tandems can be used in that product. This will probably become an issue during a home inspection should you decide to sell.