125 amp sub panel question.

Old 04-19-08, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
125 amp sub panel question.

Hello people,

Quick question and I hope to offer up all of the info needed to save you guys some time.

Our home currently has a 200 Amp service and panel.

I am finishing off the basement... No room in the current panel for our current needs or future needs (pool, garage, sauna/steam rm).

Would like to locate a 125 amp sub panel approximately 35 feet away from curent panel...

Can I.....

Place a 125 amp disconnect next to current panel and place the sub panel (main lug) 35 ft away?

What size wire should I pull?

Thanks a million!!

Ronnie

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 01:36 PM
ok first thing first

with any subfeed box it a standard paratice to run with 4 wire set up [ black , red , white et green or bare wire ]

second thing with 125 amp breaker in the main box it may i say may raise some issue with this due some 125 amp breaker cost heck alot more than 100 amp two pole breaker cost and some main breaker box may not take 125 amp breaker however if you can run us the breaker manufacter name and model number it will be one of the two place you will find this either on the inter breaker door or inside of the breaker tub [ this you will have to remove the cover to verify it ]

to run 100 amp breaker to subfeed box you will need #3 cu or #2 alum will work with this size but the #2 al is more common in big box store and i am sure pricewise it is much cheaper than copper but just becarefull when you termated the alum wire they are just alittle more trickier but not that bad if you do it right in first time.

[ #2 ser cable is very common but however if your area is on 2005 or earlier codes you are fine with 100 amp breaker but if your area is allready adopted 2008 code this will change a bit the #2 SER will be good with 90 amp breaker ]

really if you are planning nothing very hevey at all you can get by with much smaller wire size 50 amp breaker with #6 -3 WG NM but some peoples leave much larger wire so they don't have to repull or change the wire at later date.

Now there is other thing it will come up if your area allready adopted 2008 code then the finshed basement have to be AFCI protected [ i am pretty much sure it do incudeing the lighting circuits as well ]

the 2005 and earlier one you don't need the AFCI or GFCI in finshed basement unless you got bathroom in basement then that bathroom have to be GFCI'ed anway.

hope it will cover most of the info you are looking for but if you have more question please do ask us here.

Merci, Marc

Old 04-19-08, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Marc,

I did plan on running a 4 wire circuit to my new sub....

I guess if worse came to worse I could place some skinny's in the main panel to make room for a 100 amp 2 pole breaker.

My house is only a year old and they have placed GFCI's on the basement lighting circuits...

Don't plan on anything too heavy with the new panel. My anticipated needs should be ...

A small single car garage/pavillion
A kitchen in the basement with electric stove, dishwasher, fridge.
A steam generator for a steam room.

Other than heating up some baseplug circuits that should be about it.

Would you think that a 100 amp sub would be okay.

Thanks brother!

Ronnie

Old 04-19-08, 07:16 PM
I guess if worse came to worse I could place some skinny's in the main panel to make room for a 100 amp 2 pole breaker.
A word of caution...Some panels accept them , some do not. Of those that do, some require specific placement of such breakers. Then you have some that dont accept them, But they do fit anyway. ...

Just make sure your panel application approves "Skinnies" before shelling out the bucks.

Google "Load calculations"........If your 200 amp panel is "Packed", There is a good possibility that it may be Stressed already.

Old 04-20-08, 02:13 AM
Let me add one more comment on this part before it get out of hand a little however if your breaker box do can take tandem breakers [ verified with the model number on the breaker box to make sure ]

the reason why i step in for now before anyone get too far ahead with this one if you have MWBC [ Multi Wire Branch Circuit ] anytime you see black and red wire on the breaker and some case you will see two pole breaker with that but however a catch here if you see single pole breaker with red wire watch out with that one track that wire to see which group or 12-3 or 14-3 NM's is next to it that is the only spot you have to watch when you move the breakers with MWBC becarefull when you move the breaker other wise you will overloaded the netural wire if not carefull.

that part that is the only time you will see that if your home have bunch of homerun wires the fastest surefire is the numbers of XX-3's that is the only time you have to be little more carefull with it.

now let get back to normal channel here 100 amp subpanel should be workable but as Unclediezel suggest and myself i will really strongly recomend to do the " load demand " figures to make sure you are not really overloading the exsting box even thru you may have 200 amp service entrance system.

keep in your mind with steam generator can take a bit of juice the last one i did work it took about 6 KW of power [ it was pretty small unit so it is not too bad with it.]

but if you plan to go that route just head up check the unit size it may affect your plan but however as long your load demand is good and have alot of leeway with it then you can go with 100 amp subpanel set up.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-20-08, 01:12 PM
Thanks again fella's.

Ronnie