Help me please....switching light switchs.

Old 04-19-08, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help me please....switching light switchs.

Can any one help me with this problem? I put a ceiling fan in my room and bought a lutron fan control and switch thing ( for single pole) I put the fan up and it hasn't fallen down or start to smoke yet. but changing the switch has baffled me. ok the wall has only two wires coming out its one black and one white. now the switch has four, green(ground), black(hot?) yellow (light) and red (fan) this is what the paper says. i connected the black with the black, the white wire i split it so one goes to the yellow and one going to the red. this is how my friend told me to do it. but if i turn the switch off the light stays on and when i try to adjust the fan it doesnt do anything. please help me

thank you for taking the time out to read this.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 11:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think you are missing some wires in that box. If you just have a black and white, you can only control the light and fan at once, and not individually.

Was there a fan in this spot before?

Old 04-19-08, 12:54 PM
When I moved into my house it had a ceiling fan. I haven't done any major electrical work to the house. the house isn't that old. so basically, what your saying is that i can only turn on and turn off the switch, no fancy dimmer allowed. at least i tried Thank you for responding to my post. Have a nice Day

Old 04-19-08, 01:15 PM
How did you operate the original fan??? Did the original have a light KIT?

Old 04-19-08, 01:24 PM
what is the model # of the new lutron switch? we can find online and tell you more info.

sounds like this switch takes in the hot incoming (Black) and internally splits into TWO outgoing ( 1 for fan and 1 for light) without having to pigtail.

however, without knowing where the power imminates from OR being that you only have 1 hot going to the Fan this is almost a moot point.

hoping this isn't one of the new wireless ones but since there are wires coming out I assume not.....

if you want to proceed further with this please advise model #........ but as everyone below stated already... please understand that with only 2 wires coming into the switch you can only serve power to fan unit.... ANY further control for Lights/fan would need to be done with the individual chain switches on the fan itself ----to turn power or lights on/off separately....

rf