Putting a switch where it might get splashed with water?

Old 04-19-08, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Putting a switch where it might get splashed with water?

Hi,

This forum is awesome. I have a quick question about switch locations. I am putting a switch in a bathroom. The switch will power the vent/light/heater assembly. That assemly is the only unit on the circuit. So the power goes box --> switch --> light/heater/vent.

On the other side of the drywall where the switch will go is my main water line and the main line shutoff. There is also a drain valve (looks like what I'd plug a hose into) there for when I winterize the house. Am I allowed to put a switch near such a valve? It's the most sensible place to put it. What's the safest way to protect the switch?

Thanks
Nathan

Last edited by nswelton; 04-19-08 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 07:07 PM
One of the pros will be by shortly.

I dont believe there is any problem "Code wise" with such an Install, Provided none of the wiring touches any of the piping... Common sense will dictate not to hold the switch handle while draining the pipes.........

It may be a good Idea to GFCI protect the circuit, considering "The nature of the beast".

Old 04-20-08, 02:37 AM
As long the water valve is below of the switch you are installing there is no issue with that.

but however with the switch box you may have some issue with the room in the box itself due you mention light/heat/fan setup most of my time my SOP is use the two gang box that useally take care the issue with the room in the junction box but however very rare i do use single gang the only time i will used that if you have very deep well single gang box i think the deepest one is marked 22 or 24 cu inches i am not sure which one [ it about almost 3.5 inch deep btw in case you want to know how deep it is ]

Merci,Marc

Old 04-20-08, 01:29 PM
I'd make sure there is space in the wall (no pipe in the way) where you are actually placing the J-box.