GFCI Burn Mark

Old 04-20-08, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Burn Mark

I have an outlet in my kitchen that went dead and it is a GFCI. Only thing on that circuit is a dishwasher. I figured out that it must be the outlet and after pulling it, saw significant burn marks around the hot terminal. I have tested the outlet before and it seemed to test fine. Could incorrect polarization on the dishwasher plug be a potential cause?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-08, 09:31 AM
I have tested the outlet before and it seemed to test fine.
How did you test it?

Did the dishwasher originally come with a cord and plug, or did you install a plug on the end of the wiring?

Likely not the dishwashers fault, but rather a connection that loosened, heated and separated.

If the dishwasher is "OLDER"....or in need of repair..it could cause excessive current draw and damage a receptacle, but I wouldnt go that far just yet, Replace the receptacle with a new one, clean up the wiring, and try again. Keep an eye on it.....It likely will not be a problem

Old 04-20-08, 11:32 AM
Sorry - by testing, I meant the procedures that come typical with a GFCI. I was doubling checking that the line and loads were not reversed.

I did install the plug and cord on the dishwasher and will be checking that shortly to see if there is a polarization issue. I was not sure if something like that could cause it, or something else.

It was installed about a year ago. No wiring was loose by any means. I think it was a 20 amp GFCI. I will check, but I did not think it would draw that much.....