Where to put fan box?

Old 04-20-08, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to put fan box?

I currently have no lights in the ceiling of my living room. I would like to put a fan in there, i have access to the attic so it will be easy.

The only problem is deciding where to put the fan. The living room is a rectangle, the television/couch area takes up about 60% of the room while the bar area takes the rest. I am mostly concerned with cooling the couch area.

Should the fan be above the coffee table in front of the couch? Above the couch? Or center of the room?
What considerations do you make when deciding where to locate a fan?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-08, 11:40 PM
most of the time useally big 52 inch fan mounted in centre of the room unless you got unuseal very large room then you can use 2 -42~48 inch fans in there.

as long you use the proper fan support it will hold up pretty nice with big one.

there are thousand of fan style you will like to pick one for your room.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-21-08, 08:52 AM
I only want one fan in the room and I would like it to cool the television/couch area. The bar area doesn't need a fan, I don't spend enough time there to warrant it.

In a rectangular room in which a living area takes up a little more than half of it, where is the best place to put a fan so it doesn't look out of place? Right over the couch? That would be pretty close to the center of the room, but it wouldn't help cool the love-seat area. If I put it over the coffee table it would cool both the couch and love-seat, would that be a normal place to put it?

Old 04-21-08, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What is the room size? You really don't want a constant blast of air on you but a gentle, barely perceptible movement of air.

Old 04-21-08, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
What is the room size? You really don't want a constant blast of air on you but a gentle, barely perceptible movement of air.
It's about 14 by 22.

I'm putting the fan in to keep from using the loud wall AC unit. On the Low setting the fan should be more than a breeze even if it were right over head. I would like to be able to turn it on High and get a good strong breeze when needed. Anything to keep from using the AC unit.

Old 04-21-08, 09:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
I'd suggest centered over the sitting area. This will keep the 'wind' from blowing down right onto the people sitting on both couches. I'd also then suggest measuring it out to the room so it's at about the 1/3rd mark (a 20' room would place it at 6'8"). This way if you or someone else wanted to add a second fan for whatever reason, it would be appropriately spaced.

Another thing I'd recommend (for almost any placement issue) is to cut out something that sort of looks like a fan out of a piece of cardboard and tape it to your ceiling where you want to put it. Most of the time, you'll look at it and agree, but every once in a while you'll paste it up there and realize that it looks horrible there for some reason or another. It's an easy and cheap double-check which doesn't require any drywall repair

Old 04-21-08, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Over 300 square feet in your room. I would go with Zorfdt's suggestion if you don't want two fans now. Remember that companies keep changing styles and, when you decide to add the second fan, a match may not be available.