circuit breakers

Old 04-21-08, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
circuit breakers

I am adding a new circuit breaker to a Siemens main panel box. I can find two breakers listed that satisfy my requirements. One is a Q1515. The other is a Q1515NC. The catalog says the "NC" means "no rejection clip". What is a rejection clip on a circuit breaker and which one would I want?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-08, 09:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The Q1515NC is a non-CTL (circuit total limiting) breaker. This style would only be used in an older panel. Most fairly modern panels will use the CTL version Q1515.

Old 04-21-08, 10:16 AM
Even thru maybe your breaker box may approved to use the tandaem breaker but check with the model number on the breaker box and sometime they will mark the location of the tandem breaker where it can be landed as well.

Most modern breaker box what they approved for tandem breaker they useally located on bottom half of breaker box so just give you a head up in case why some dont fit in one spot so watchout with that one.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-27-08, 07:41 PM
Ctl

You have given me a new term: (ctl) circuit total limiting. What is it?

Old 04-27-08, 07:56 PM
Some breaker panels are certified for use with a given number of breakers. Adding a Tandem or Piggyback would disrupt this certification , because you would change the number of circuits available.

Based on your panel Part #...... It will state how many breaker spaces are physically available, and how many circuits the panel may use.....For example .....30/30 would be 30 spaces/ 30 circuits. On the other hand , a 30/40 would be 30 available spaces, but tandems are permitted , so you would be able to use 40 circuits in 30 spaces.

The rejection clip prevents you from using tandem breakers in
the example 30/30 panel.

CTL----Circuit total limiting.... Would be the limit placed on how many circuits could be used in a given Panel, in relationship to the Number of SPACES