Replaced Circuit Breaker - Still No Juice...

Old 04-21-08, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replaced Circuit Breaker - Still No Juice...

The other day I noticed some receptacles that were out so I checked the breaker but it hadn't been tripped. I replaced the breaker thinking the perhaps the breaker had just burnt out. (This had happened in the same box before) Still there was no juice. Where else would be a logical place to search for the problem. Could one of the receptacles be bad? Are they like Christmas lights where if one receptacle goes out none of them work? Not sure what to do next. How do I test it?

Thanks,

Don

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-08, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
What you have is either a broken or loose wire in the circuit. It is usually the white neutral wire, but could be the black hot wire. The most common cause of failure is a weak backstab connection at a receptacle; this can be repaired by moving the wire to the adjacent screw terminal on the receptacle. The problem is usually at the first dead receptacle or the last live receptacle in the circuit; each device that is downstream from the break will not function. The method of fixing this is basically trial-and-error until you find the receptacle, switch or light fixture with the loose connection.

Old 04-21-08, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ahh, thanks Ben! 5-minutes later it's fixed. I started with the only receptacle on the circuit that gets any use and that was the one with the bad back stab connection. You certainly know your stuff! Thanks for the reply, you helped me out a lot.

Don