Help~Rewiring House

Old 04-21-08, 06:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help~Rewiring House

Looking for reputable Electricians in the Stephens County, Ok area.

I have a 2300 sq ft house that needs to be rewired, I am living in a fire hazzard.

I have 2 rooms that I can no longer use any electricity in and the wires just seem to be sizzling out throughout the house. I have several questions.

1. How much will it cost; I simply need an estiamte ~
I need "ground fault" plugs(?), just basically an entire upgrade, to the point where my house is safe and I can plug things in.

2. Is it possible to rewire a house, how do you get to the plugs in the middle of the walls? I don't mind having my plugs moved to an easier spot.

3. I have been talking to Electricians for 3+yrs and cannot seem to find one willing to do the job or one that will give me straing answers, how do you find an electrician?

Old 04-21-08, 11:18 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
you should talk to some of your freinds whom they may know good electrician in your area.

3 years?? humm .,, that kinda instering to know some can able do it and some just can't do it and some are very busy and the shedule can be swapped depending on who you get ahold of them.

for the cost to rewire the house fully.,,
that something genrally i dont tell over the internet due hard to say due local prices and codes but it will be more than few thousand dollars [ the excat amout that part i dont know because i dont have super vison to see it that far ]

to fix it and get it safe it pretty much depending on what is the exsting condtion there and other issue going on.

you should have at least 3 estames for the repair for rewirng the house make sure they are liscened in that area.

hope that will give you some idea with the info i am sure you have more question please do post it here.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-25-08, 12:50 PM
P
If you can find a handy-man who is a "pro" at patching walls and ceilings, and who will work for a reasonable salary, you will much reduce the cost of re-wiring the house.

The handy-man can cut grooves in the wall for routing the cables between the outlet-boxes and even fasten the outlet-boxes to the studs.

That done , the electrician can then run the cables, and connect the devices.

That done, the handy-man patches over all the cuts & grooves. I'd guess the handy-man work is 70% of the job if the electrician can route the cables without spending time cutting any notches and grooves in the finish.

Old 04-25-08, 01:25 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PATTBAA
If you can find a handy-man who is a "pro" at patching walls and ceilings, and who will work for a reasonable salary, you will much reduce the cost of re-wiring the house.

The handy-man can cut grooves in the wall for routing the cables between the outlet-boxes and even fasten the outlet-boxes to the studs.

That done , the electrician can then run the cables, and connect the devices.

That done, the handy-man patches over all the cuts & grooves. I'd guess the handy-man work is 70% of the job if the electrician can route the cables without spending time cutting any notches and grooves in the finish.
Pattbaa.,,

normally i don't step in this fashon but however as i am a master electrician by trade there are few pointer you may have to understand this part.

if someone want to hire the electrician do the wiring the house that fine with me that part is no issue but however .,,
if that homeowner want to open the walls ., bore holes , put in the juction boxes etc some of the electricians may not want that part be done due the code reqirement and some electricians can let homeowner open up the wall that fine as well but if the homeowner rough in the wires in there and call the electrician to hook up some of them have right to refuse to hook up due libiaty issue or put the item[s] at wrong place that can compund it.

for the homeowner if they talk to the electrician and let them see what they have to say what it feel the best way.

for myself i useally go situation to situaition noting will be the same twice and i have some feilxablty depending on the sisuation.

but however there is one fine line if handyperson want to work on someone else home if more than just a simple repair or replaceing the switch or recpectale or change the luminaire most state will have some guideline what the homeowner can do and can't the same with handyperson working on someone else house that can cause some issue with permit and inspection and the codes if that person did not get up to the speed with the state / local codes

[ handypersons make a note of this most states are pretty strict with this the main reason is for safety issue and code ]

myself i have not much aginst of homeowner do their own wiring as long they do understand the state/local codes
as long the state/ local area allowed for that part.

if have more question just ask us here

Merci,Marc

Old 04-25-08, 01:25 PM
B
What do you mean by wires sizzling out? That wires are actually heating/burning in the walls? Or that receptacles are no longer working? Have you determined the exact cause of the problem? Re-wiring seems extreme if you only need to get some new receptacles replaced.

Do you have aluminum wiring? Perhaps someone used non-aluminum approved receptacles or didn't use the anti-ox paste. Definitely get some estimates and ask your friends who they use.

You might even call the local Habitat for Humanity affiliate and ask them who they use and if they'd recommend them.

Old 04-25-08, 02:20 PM
I agree with french277V. Homeowners and handymen opening up walls and trying to create a path for wiring is not the best course of action. You will invariably open up a can of worms, as in most localities if you open up the wall, any electrical, plumbing, or ductwork must be brought up to current code standards. You will not save yourself much money overall, and you may create a larger headache than you bargained for, on top of paying BOTH an electrician AND a handyman. Any electrician worth his salt can fish a wire almost anywhere without demolishing anything' except for rare cases, and then i usually will discuss options for completing the job with the homeowner. I don't do patchwork. Most of us have a very good understanding of home construction on top of the electrical experience. The only way you would save money if i was doing the job, would be if the walls were completely down to the studs. As for running any wire, forget about it. Most electrical contractors won't touch anything unless it's their own work because of liability issues. Even if the homeowner pulls the permit, the AHJ still wants to know who's doing the work. I recommend getting out the phonebook, get five or six estimates if price is an issue, and go with the lowest bid. Also, be sure to get proof of license and a copy of the insurance certificate. You may have to look outside of the area you're in to get estimates as well. There are electrical contractors who are licensed to work in neighboring localities, and some in other states as well. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Old 04-25-08, 07:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here in my part of Oklahoma, a homeowner cannot change more then 4 receptacles in the home without getting a permit, and the only person who can pull a permit in my area, is a licensed electrician......go figure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: