New GFCI plugs not working

Old 04-22-08, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New GFCI plugs not working

Hello all,
I have a problem that I hope someone can help me out with; there are 2 GFCI plugs in the bathroom that I think are faulty. Because everytime one is used it shuts down the circuit. I'm trying to troubleshoot to see if it's the plugs themselves and not the breaker. So I put in two new GFCI plugs but they don't seem to be working. Is there any kind of trick to resetting new GFCI plugs or am I wiring these incorrectly. When I put the old GFCI plugs back in they work fine...until someone uses the blowdryer or whatever. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-08, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
How did you connect the LINE and LOAD terminals on the GFCI receptacles? Are the two receptacles on the same circuit or different circuits?

Old 04-22-08, 07:19 PM
GFCI Plugs not working

Yes they are both on the same circuit and I'm pretty sure I hooked up the line terminals where they're supposed to go and the load terminals where they're supposed to go. After hooking them up the green light on the GFCI plug is lit but there is no power to the sockets. I've tried tripping them to see if they would reload but no success. So I put the old ones back and they are working. But they do need to be replaced and I would like to put new ones in. And thanks for the quick response.

Old 04-22-08, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Except for the convenience factor there is no reason to have 2 GFI's on the same circuit. You can feed the downstream receptacles from the LOAD side terminals.

Some GFi's have the LED lit when they are tripped, others when they have power. Which is yours?

Can you plug in the appliance that trips the old GFI into another GFI? If this one trips also the problem is with the appliance, not the GFI.

Old 04-22-08, 09:30 PM
Cool

The GFI is an Leviton and that is a possibility concerning the appliance being bad. i shall check that out, however that still dose not explain why there is no power coming from the new plugs only the old ones what do you suppose i am doing wrong shall i take the down stream gfi out and replace it with a standard duel duplex it is next to the shower? Thanx

Old 04-22-08, 09:36 PM
After hooking them up the green light on the GFCI plug is lit but there is no power to the sockets.

Double check your connections and try again...As mentioned, some LED's indicate "Good to go" ...while others indicate tripped or miswired.

I may catch grief for this one, but......

GFCI outlets are shipped from the factory in "TRIPPED" position. Many times "Fingers" are too "FAT" to get a solid "PRESS".....A small thin screwdriver, and a firm push, and a definite audible "Click" should be heard.....A gentle touch doesnt work with this one....."Ya gotta really PUSH it"

Old 04-23-08, 06:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
From the Leviton website:

A line-load reversal diagnostic feature is provided which prevents the GFCI from being reset and stops power from being fed to the GFCI receptacle face or through to downstream devices. A green LED indicator on the GFCI's face also illuminate4s to alert the installer to the line-load wiring reversal.

Switch the pairs of LINE and LOAD wires on the device and test.