Low Voltage

Old 04-23-08, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Voltage

I have a GTO Gate operator that runs off 12v. The kit comes with the trasnformer so it can be plugged into 110. My house is around 250ft from the gate so I'm going to be running the low voltage wire around that distance. My question is, the gate can be operated by a doorbell switch. I want to place a keypad entry box on the gate to keep the unwanted peeps out and put a door bell switch inside so we can let people in without giving out codes. So here's the deal. I'm trenching this weekend to run 250+ feet of low voltage direct-bury
16ga wire and I want to know..... What wire I can run for the door bell switch? Is there a direct-bury bell wire?

-D

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-08, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeblance View Post
12v...around 250ft from the gate so I'm going to be running the low voltage wire around that distance.
A 12V system cannot operate at anywhere near that distance. You'll need to install a 120V circuit out to the gate for the transformer and also pull some control wires for the gate opener. The size of each of these wires will be determined by the specs on the opener system. If you could post the electrical info for the opener or a link to the manual at the manufacturer website we can help you determine what you need to install.

Old 04-23-08, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info ibpooks.

I think my original post might have been confusing. The GTO Gate Operator (Mighty Mule) comes with an 18v transformer that plugs into a 110/120 outlet that trickle charges the battery from which the gate operator is powered.

From the gate operator manual
Each of GTO's (DC powered) Automatic Gate Openers comes with a transformer that plugs into any 110/120 electrical outlet and provides a trickle charge to the battery. The transformer is connected to the control box with up to 1000 ft. of GTO's 16 gauge, multi-stranded, dual conductor, direct burial, low voltage wire (not provided).

But that wasn't my original question. The gate operator can be operated via door bell switch. I want to place on inside my home and want to know what wire out there can I use that can be buried along with the 16ga direct-bury wire for the gate....

Old 04-23-08, 01:01 PM
before we can go on more with this question are you plan to have charger at the gate area ??

i know some charger can take a bit of juice but however are you plan to put in a 120 volt repectale there as well for other use also ?? the reason that with 250 feet run you will need #12 wire with 15 amp breaker [ the reason why i say 15 amp due the distance it will affect the voltage drop ]

and have a gfci recpectale at that end of run and use oversized bubble cover for it.

now for the control cable i think 16 gauge size should have no issuse with it but it will be much easier to get it in the conduit [ pipe ] then you can run the control wire in the pipe but however please run seperated conduit for power otherwise it may interfrence the operation.

let us know what your plans maybe we have some better idea along the way.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-23-08, 01:13 PM
The 18v transformer trickle charger will plug into a 110 outlet at the house. The lv wire (16ga, multi-stranded, dual conductor, direct burial, low voltage wire) will connect to the transformer and run underground, 250 feet to the control box that houses the 12v battery for the gate operator.
That's all taken care of. This is the way Mighty Mule and GTO sell their gate operators.
The only issue I'm having is running a wire from the control box at the gate to the house so it can be opened from indoors. I don't know what wire I can use underground and hopefully not use conduit since the lv wire is direct-bury

Old 04-23-08, 01:17 PM
Received 128 Votes on 116 Posts
The system is obviously designed to be at up 1000 feet so I am not going debate whether what you are intending is correct. I believe it is.
Use another run of the same wire you are using for the 12 volts to connect the interior doorbell button.

Old 04-23-08, 01:17 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
From the gate operator manual
Each of GTO's (DC powered) Automatic Gate Openers comes with a transformer that plugs into any 110/120 electrical outlet and provides a trickle charge to the battery. The transformer is connected to the control box with up to 1000 ft. of GTO's 16 gauge, multi-stranded, dual conductor, direct burial, low voltage wire (not provided).
Since the manufacturer states the battery charger may be up to 1,000 feet from the gate operator I see no reason to run any 120 volt power unless you also want a yard light at the gate.

The keypad at the gate (assuming it is from the same manufacturer) should be no problem and using the push button in the house with a cable similar to that used for the battery charger probably would work. If not, a simple transistor switch located at the gate itself and connected with the #16 cable would definitely work. I have used transistor switches over much longer distances with #26 wire with no problem.

I suggest that you purchase sufficient cable to make the run from the battery charger to the gate operator (remember the extra for making connections) AND also the run for the push button. Probably cheaper to purchase a 1,000 foot spool than 550 foot cut length.

Old 04-23-08, 01:28 PM
FURD

Correct, the keypad is by the same manufacturer.

Is there a smaller gauge (cheaper) low voltage direct-bury wire I can use for the push button?

Old 04-23-08, 01:35 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Maybe. It depends upon how much current is required to be carried. The instructions should give you some help on the subject.

Your biggest problem is going to be preventing mechanical damage to the wiring from digging or from rocks. Electrical codes are usually pretty lenient with this type of low-voltage wiring.

Old 04-23-08, 01:56 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
At least for the switch check out the cost of low voltage wire for Malibu type low voltage light systems sold at the Big Box stores. I installed a Might Mule for a customer using this wire because it was cheaper then the manufactures. I am not though recommending it for the charging run because it might raise warranty issues. For the switch I see no problem though. If I recall correctly you can get it in #18 which will save a bit more money especially if you buy generic brand. Of course if the instructions say #16 for the switch go with #16

Maybe the HAVC guys can weigh in on if there is direct burial thermostat wire that would be suitable and cheaper.

Note: The term doorbell button as used here really means a low voltage SP momentary contact switch. So don't assume doorbell wire would even be appropriate or that you need a doorbell button. If placing in a house you may want to use a momentary contact switch that looks and mounts like a regular light switch. Maybe using #14 THWN in PVC might be the cheapest route.

Old 04-23-08, 02:08 PM
Thanks Ray for the info. I'm not worried about the warranty any longer as the unit has been installed on solar and working on and off for 8+ years.

I do have another option as to where I can get power for the trickle charger and that is the water well which sits about 50 feet from the gate. I don't have a 110 outlet there, and I'm not sure what it would take to put one in. But that would be a shorter run for the power atleast... Any comments??

The manual states to use the 16/2 wire for keypad, push button and just about everything that requires being wired to the control box.

Old 04-23-08, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I do have another option as to where I can get power for the trickle charger and that is the water well which sits about 50 feet from the gate.
Nahh, that wouldn't be worth the trouble. Sounds like as long as the manufacturer has rated the trickle charger for 1000', then you're good to go with that. The malibu wire is a good idea if you could order it in a long enough spool.

You could also go with 1/2" conduit and pull in strands of #16 TFFN/MTW conductors which you should be able to buy or order at a supply house in 500' or 1000' spools.

Old 04-23-08, 04:50 PM

The manual states to use the 16/2 wire for keypad, push button and just about everything that requires being wired to the control box.

you may run into some issue in some big box store some of them may not stock this size however if not.,,

Go to the electrical supply centre they will stock this size for you [TFFN/MTW] before you order check the numbers of conductor you will need sometime you will need a sepered colour so you know which one is which.

Merci,Marc