6/3 run to GFCI SPA kit #10 bare grnd OK?

Old 04-23-08, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
6/3 run to GFCI SPA kit #10 bare grnd OK?

Dublin, CA

I have a 6/3 w/#10 bare ground wire from a 50amp circuit breaker to a GFCI SPA kit (in attic space to outside wall). Is this legal - #10 OK? Bare OK? I believe local code is NEC 2005 Edition

FYI #6 wires including insulated ground (outside of house) to the SPA from the GFCI kit.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TheWrasse; 04-23-08 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-08, 07:35 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
no, it must be insulated. 680.21

I'm not real familiar with hot tub installs. Hang around for some of the others advice.

Old 04-23-08, 08:41 PM
nope you have to run insluated grounding conductor all the way back to the breaker box see NEC art 680.21.

and make sure you put the disconnect switch near hot tub no less than 5 feet away.

Merci,Marc

p.s. do not run ground rods for hot tub that is myth

Old 04-24-08, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yes, the bare ground is legal for the section of wiring inside the house up to the disconnect. The section outside the house from the disconnect to the tub requires an insulated ground.

680.21 (1) General ...Any wiring method employed shall contain an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor...

680.21 (4) One-family dwellings In the interior of one-family dwellings...where run in a cable assembly, the equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted to be uninsulated, but it shall be enclosed within the outer sheath of the cable assembly.

Also covered by IV. Spas and Hot Tubs

680.42 (C) Interior wiring to outdoor installations In the interior of a one-family dwelling any of the wiring methods recognized in Chapter 3 of this code that contain a copper equipment grounding conductor that is insulated or enclosed within the outer sheath of the wiring method and not smaller than 12 AWG shall be permitted...

Old 04-24-08, 09:05 AM
Thank you everyone. Based on Ben's input it sounds like I am good to go.

Does crawl space under the house count as interior?

Old 04-24-08, 03:05 PM
nap
well, you did not say 6/3 what.

ben is presuming NM and is probably correct and based on that, you would be good to go BUT since you did not say you have NM cable, I erred on the side of safety and considered other possibilities.

Old 04-24-08, 04:19 PM
Thank Ben [ Ipbooks ] for getting correct code number here.

however he is right for inside wiring methods but once you get outside and run underground that will really change a bit there.

crawl space under the house it can be interoir but however it can be either dry or damp location depending on the structure.

if stay dry all the time then you can use normal methold but however if stay damp all the time then you will have to use UF or THHN/THWN in conduit due the condenstion issue.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-24-08, 06:03 PM
Sorry, I realized later I didn't specify the cable type.
It is E18679 (UL) ROMEX SIMPull AWG 6 CU 3 with AWG 10 ground Type NM-B 600 volts. Under the house is dry and is exposed to damp air so I am thinking of doing a junction box and pulling THHN through some 3/4" or 1" PVC.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 04-26-08, 08:20 AM
nap
I though you were going through the attic.

as well, you would use THWN in wet locations but most THHN is also rated THWN.

Old 04-26-08, 10:43 AM
I was in the attic above the garage (attached to house) and then through about 3/4 of the house before I dropped to the crawl space. It was pretty easy following some other lines that had been pulled and dropping to the crawl space happened behind a fireplace kit. I had my small son crawl down behind the fireplace from the attic and drill a hole in the floor. It was quite amusing.
Thanks for the help.

Old 04-26-08, 12:11 PM
nap
Originally Posted by TheWrasse View Post
I had my small son crawl down behind the fireplace from the attic and drill a hole in the floor. It was quite amusing.
Thanks for the help.
didn't anybody tell you that the assistance isn't free. When you have situations like this, pictures are a requirement!