electric flicking

Old 04-26-08, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electric flicking

so the power is flickering this morning and i went outside after checking service panel. the meter socket ( old round kind) is making sizzling sound and its fogged up inside. so im thinking the socket has water in it, which would make sense cause the wire is terribly old and has almost no insulation left and the meter socket top waterproofing/gasketry is almost gone.the thing is though, the flickering is being biased in the house. there are a few rooms/breakers which are not flickering. the ones not flickering are random, like the second to last breaker on the right side and a couple on the left. i removed all the breakers just to check the panel itself and averything looks fine. and i switched a couple breakers that are flickering from their spot to a non flicker spot and they worked fine. so its not the breakers. i know, call an electrician, but for the sake of theory gimme some thoughts/ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-08, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Call the electric company NOW. Explain you have an emergency situation. Turn off the main breaker till they get there. Even if the electric company in your area doesn't replace meters they will make the situation safe. Most areas though the electric company does handle meter problems. Important when turning off the main breaker do NOT stand in front of the meter socket or the breaker box stand to one side, eyes turned away.

Old 04-26-08, 12:08 PM
nap
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I will second Ray's advice (it is not a suggestion).

sizzling is never a good sound unless you are frying bacon.

In my area, the power company (POCO) will only pull the meter. They will not repair. You would need an electrician to do this. If your POCO works like ours, they will cut the overhead service until the service is repaired. If your electrician knows the right people, this can be done on a weekend but then again, possibly not.

The alternative could be damaged electrical devices or at worst, a fire.

Do NOT let this go until Monday.