15 Amp Devices on a 20 Amp Circuit Advice

Old 04-26-08, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
15 Amp Devices on a 20 Amp Circuit Advice

According to my County's building code, a bathroom needs to be serviced by a single 20 amp circuit. All of the switches (3), recepticals (2), fans (1) and lights (3) I have planned for the bathroom are 15 Amp and the total load of the entire circuit is less than 700 watts. I plan to run a 12 gauge wire to all of these devices. Do you see any problem with using all 15 amp devices (fans, lights, switches recepticals on this 20 amp circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-08, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Avila, it is permissable to use 15amp receptacles, switches, etc on a 20amp circuit. If you only had one receptacle on this circuit, that is when it has to be 20amp.

I'll make your post it's own thread to prevent confusion.

Old 04-26-08, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
You can run the bathroom on the one 20 amp circuit as long all that is served is that bathroom. I suggest putting the two receptacles on one 20 amp circuit and then run a 15 amp circuit for the lights, fan etc. The reason is in bathrooms people use high wattage items such as curling irons (?? watts) and hair dryers (1875 watts) . Your installing two receptacles (duplex) so that can be double those items.

You can use 15 amp devices as long as the connected load is not over the rated amps. So your fine there. You can put a normal duplex 15 amp receptacle (or GFCI) on a 20 amp circuit because it is really 2 outlets.